37. somebody else

James ended up sleeping in the room of requirements on accident. He fell asleep in Barty's arms, and the other two boys didn't have the heart to wake him up that late, frankly James looked exhausted.

In the morning, James felt much better than the night before, and decided to head to class, where he was met with two of his best friends freaking out.

"James! What the fuck! I thought Regulus killed you, I was ready to fight!" Sirius practically tackled him to the ground.

"Boys, I ask that you don't disturb the class." McGonagall said.

"Sorry Minnie!" Sirius smiled, and was met with an angered frown, but she didn't comment.

"I'm fine Sirius, I just wasn't feeling well last night and headed to the hospital wing." James lied. He hated doing that to Sirius, but he couldn't just tell his best friend that he cuddled a Slytherin and his boyfriend to sleep, let alone Regulus's two best friends. Sirius would actually kill him.

𝄽

Lily was impatient all day, just waiting for a chance to find James, and when she finally got the chance, she practically sprinted to find him.

"James." She was out of breath from sprinting through the corridors. James was walking with Sirius and Peter, probably on their way to find Remus.

"Look, Lily we already told you-" Sirius started, but Lily interrupted him.

"James please come talk to me. I'm sorry I- just let me explain myself, please." Tears began to well up in her eyes, and James couldn't say no to her, he immediately folded and ran to pull her into a hug.

The two decided to find somewhere outside to sit in the courtyard.

"You - Lily, you hurt me. You can't ignore that." James sat on a bench next to her, he could barely look her in the eyes.

"I know. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have threatened to break up with you, and I shouldn't have completely ignored you like I did." She said, "and I shouldn't have kissed Mary on your birthday." She mumbled almost incoherently.

"You what?" His voice cracked. He was no better, he knew that.

"I... after our fight I may have... slept with Mary." Lily looked down at her hands, not daring to make eye contact with her.

"I - I kissed Regulus. I don't remember any of it." James admitted. It almost made him laugh. Not in a good way of course.

"Wow, we are fucked up." Lily whispered.

"We can work on it. That's what relationships are. They're hard. We're gonna fight and that's a given, but -" James paused for a moment, "I forgive you, and I'm sorry too. I'm not sorry about wanting to be friends with Regulus though, or Barty or Evan."

"I guess I can get over it." She said, James leaned on her shoulder, then started to tickle her. She tried to punch and kick him as she was screaming with laughter. She missed these moments with James. 

"You can't tell Sirius though." He got serious, "I'll tell him on my own terms. He has his own issues and I cannot trigger him like that, I'd never forgive myself." James explained. 

"He loves Regulus. We all know he does" She said.

James ran a hand through her long hair, "Yeah, and Regulus loves him, and they need to work though their issues, they just don't want to see eye to eye." 

𝄽

Sirius found Remus in the common room, staring at the fire. Peter had already gone off to go find some Hufflepuff girl he was trying to talk to. 

"Remus" Sirius said in a sing-song manner as he approached Remus from behind, "There's my favourite person" He kissed the top of Remus's head. 

"How was class?" Remus asked, he looked exhausted, Sirius hated that he would still have to do his coursework

"Horrible as always without you. Sirius sat in Remus's lap in the small armchair, wrapping his arms around Remus's neck. "You feeling any better?" 

"Now that you're here. I tried to do some homework, but got a splitting migraine. I'll give you the answers if you write for me." Remus offered. 

"Deal, but I'm comfortable right now, maybe when James gets back, we can kidnap Peter and study together, exams are coming up soon." 

Remus groaned, "I am not looking forward to that. I can barely look at a piece of paper right now." 

"Maybe you could ask for accommodations?" 

"It's Hogwarts, me being able to be here right now is already a surprising accommodation. I'm scared that if I ask Dumbledore for something more he -" Remus stopped, "Nevermind."

"Wait what? Dumbledore will do what?" Sirius asked

"No, it was nothing, nevermind." Remus tried to blow it off like nothing. 

"Remus, that sounded serious. Did he do something?" 

"No, I'm just overreacting. Remember when Dumbledore summoned me for a meeting in the middle of potions? We got in a bit of an argument and I blew up at him, it's nothing much." Remus half-explained stiffly. 

"Remus." Sirius looked at him, "What did he do?" 

Remus sighed, there was no avoiding it now. "Dumbledore tried recruiting me for the war. The only reason I'm even at Hogwarts is because he needed someone on his side to spy on greyback." 

"Oh I'm going to kill that bastard." Sirius stood up, probably intending on marching up to Dumbledore's office to yell at him. 

"Sirius come sit back down. There's nothing you can do. I already said no." Remus grabbed Sirius's hand with some difficulty, and pulled him closer. 

"How could he do that to you? You're worth more than that. You're worth more than your - you're worth more than just moony. You're the smartest person here, and the kindest, and the-" 

Remus pulled him in for a kiss, and Sirius instantly relaxed. "Let's not worry about people like him. I don't like him, but he is also our only hope of beating this war right now." 

Except Dumbledore wasn't their only hope, and all he did was preach hope, but the only real hope was Regulus, who now knew how to destroy horcruxes. The only issue was - how would he get his hands on Gryffindor's sword, or a basilisk fang? 

𝄽

Omg guys I feel like these chapters are so boring, ik they're not and its just that I'm rereading them so often but I just feel like nothing rlly happens. Omg i also always have the urge to go over every little detail I wrote in my notes, like what the crimson rivers author does, but I always end up deleting my paragraphs.