Chapter 34- All Fun and Games Until Someone Falls Pt. 2.

Steve held still until we heard the noise again before he sprinted down the hall into the darkness. Heknew the hallways better than any of us so when Colby and I flew after him, we were stuck weaning around beams and through halls with no idea of where to go, just a faint shadow in front of us. Dylan led the boys behind us and we cleared the halls, heading down to the entrance. A few people, mostly boys, were gathered around the doors, looking around. Steve, Sam, Seth, and Colby all leapt onto the windowsill we'd come in at the same time, screaming like hooligans.

"What the fuck, bro?" The closest boy asked.

"You've gotta go." Steve replied. "You're trespassing on private property, get in your car and go."

"Subscribe to Sam and Colby!" Sam shrieked as they retreated to their car.

"Wait, it's Sam and Colby?" The driver asked. "I used to watch you guys when I was little!"

"That's awesome! Don't do illegal shit!"

I chuckled, taking Colby's hand and holding it, lacing our fingers together. He smiled at me, his chest still heaving as he tried to catch his breath. The car pulled away and we all retreated back into the building.

"Well. That was eventful." Steve said, flicking his flashlight back on. "Let's head downstairs now."

"Sounds good."

We gently made our way downstairs behind Steve, who warned us that the spiders out here could eat small kids and that their webs don't break, they pull hair. We reached the entrance to an incredibly long, incredibly dark, incredibly terrifying hallway.

"This is what we call the 'Homestead Challenge.'" Dylan announced as we made our way to it. "You pretty much rely on your hearing for this."

"You have to walk all the way down that hallway," Steve pointed. "With no guidance, alone, no flashlight."

"No flashlight?" Colby asked.

"No flashlight."

"Nose Goes!" Seth hollered. I threw my hand towards my nose, but I wasn't fast enough.

"Maddie!" Sam yelled. Dammit.

"I hate all of you." I groaned, taking the camera and an EVP recorder from Sam.

"All the way down and all the way back, no light." Steve instructed. He gave me a reassuring pat on the back before I began my trek down the hall.

Even with my hand directly out in front of my face, I was terrified of running into something. Or someone.

"What are you doing here?" A gruff voice asked. I whirled around to see a man in the room next to me. He was definitely a ghost, the slightest bit of light radiating off of him.

"I'm doing the Homestead Challenge and investigating." I replied.

"What's your name?"

"Maddie."

"Maddie? I'm Charlie. I'm the groundskeeper here. These halls ain't safe."

"All of the rubble?"

"It's all fun and games until someone falls. Be careful, hon."

"Yes sir." I smiled as Charlie faded from view.

I finished the challenge and was heading back when everyone lept out of the shadows, nearly making me pee myself.

"God damn." I chuckled, my heart racing.

"Find anything?" Seth asked.

"I saw a ghost. He told me his name was Charlie."