Chapter 21

21
Natasha POV
"So, he just left you sitting there?" Maria demands.

"Uh-huh," I mumble as I adjust the scope of the gun to have a better vantage point of the streets bellow us.

I could see Katie leaning against the wall of a cafe, pretending to be playing on her phone. Other than the occasional look over her shoulder, she looks completely natural in this setting.

"And what did you do?" Maria asks. I sigh, I'm beginning to regret telling her about my morning. She just might be kicking Clint's ass once I finish telling her the story of how he stormed out of the bathroom after I told him I'm pregnant.

"Nothing," I grumble, pulling away from the scope. "Widow and Hill in position," I hiss onto the comm. link.

"You may be a widow at the end of the day," Maria mutters and I shoot her a death glare.

"Can we please focus on the mission?" I ask, folding my arms over my chest as I leaned against the railing of the tail building. "We can talk about what happened to me this morning after we complete the mission and you can go back to planning my husband's death."

Maria snorts, "I just can't believe that you sat there and let him leave."

I glare back at her, "I was a little too busy with throwing up to run after him."

Maria's gaze softens slightly at my sharp tone and words. I rub my eyes with exhaustion. If only I could have another ten hours of sleep or five more cups of coffee.

"You ok?" She asks awkwardly, clearly having no idea what to do or say to me.

I nod slightly as I look back into the scope to make sure nothing has changed. "It just bothers me that he left."

Maria places her hand on my shoulder and I look up at her sadly.

"This is what he's always wanted," I continue, looking down. "And he just ran away. I don't know what that means. I don't know if he's done with me or what else is going on in his head. He wouldn't even make eye contact with me at the meeting."

"I'm not really good with the relationship crap," Maria begins, looking out at the city. "SHIELD hasn't left me much time to love, but you and Clint seem to have made it work in some weird way. You guys clearly love each other and you just need to talk about it. You'll be fine."

I smile over at her, "Thanks." It occurs to me that this may be her own way of voicing her insecurities about her relationship with Steve. Since I've been at SHIELD, I've never seen her with a man for more than one night, this must be a completely new thing for her.

"How are things going with good old Captain America?" I ask.

She smirks, "As good as can be I suppose. This is the longest I've flirted with a guy ever and not been able to take him to bed, but I kind of like the seriousness in our relationship Despite it being slightly degrading."

I laugh, shaking my head as I survey Katie. "If it means anything, you're still one of the prettiest girls I've ever met."

"That's means a lot coming from you," she laughs, blushing slightly.

"Prepare for radio silence." An agent says  "Comms going out in...three...two...one."

Static fills both of our ears and we take out our now useless comms. I look through the scope of my gun towards Katie and I see Maria pulling out binoculars to look below us as well.

The people sitting in the café look around with confusion when all of their phones and laptops go out. Katie frowns slightly, looking around for the cause of the blackout. Her acting is slightly exaggerated and makes me wince slightly.

Then Fury walks down the street. All alone and his black trench coat swaying in the wind. Katie waits for him to pass her while pulling on a mask before running after him and jumping on his back.

Fury falls face first to the ground. Katie puts all of her weight on him, and almost flies off when he fights back a little too hard.

Onlookers jump out of their seats in surprise at the scene in front of them. Several reaching for phones to video take the fight or to phone the police before realizing that their phones no longer work.

Katie pulls out a knife and dives back on top of Fury. It's only a short moment of fighting before what appears to be Katie stabbing him.
The crowd seems to collectively scream. Fake blood begins to stain the concrete floor. Katie pulls back her knife and grabs at his eyes patch, leaving him gasping on the ground.

Two cop cars pull up and Katie is already on the move. Sprinting away as fast as she can as Clint and a few other agents hop out of their respective cars to chase after her.

Meanwhile, most of the rest of the police for is covering what appears to be a major fight between the Hulk, Ironman, and Thor.

I watch as Clint and the rest of the agents chase Katie around the corner and out of view from where Maria and I are perched. They will chase her for a long time until she makes a "miraculous" escape.

I turn my attention back to Fury, pretending to bleed out all over the ground. An ambulance of SHIELD agents pull up and make quick work of removing him from the scene.

When they're gone, I straighten. "And we're done," I say looking over sadly at Maria.

Now we wait for Katie to go to her meeting place and then return to the tower. After that, it was Clint's birthday party.

I would have to face him then or whenever we returned to our apartment. Either way, we need to talk.