Chapter 22:

Mindy pov

Dr. Crowler's class starts off normal enough, it isn't until about fifteen minutes before the end of class that an announcement is made about a project. I ended up getting paired with Ben Poole. Lovely just lovely Jasmine gets to work with Alexis and I end up with the social pariah of Obelisk, figures. Looking up a couple of rows he was looking through his deck seemingly not paying attention to anyone. If his performance in our shared classes was anything to go off of he was really smart, so assuming he was willing to work with me this should be easy.

" Don't be nervous Mindy." Alexis said picking up on my hesitation to go over to Ben. "He's not as bad as some of the rumors make him out to be."

" And how would you know that?" Jasmine asked her suggestively, doubtlessly wondering when Alexis had met him.

" He helped me avoid campus security on the first day when I snuck out to watch Chazz duel Jaden." Alexis replied before continuing. " Interestingly enough he seemed to know Chazz."

" What was he doing breaking curfew?" Jasmine asked. I was more interested in the fact Ben and Chazz seemed to know each other. They almost certainly weren't in the same social circles.

" The same thing I was, he went to go watch the duel." Alexis answered Jasmine. " He's got a bit of an ego but overall seems ok."

" Given his performance here his ego probably isn't unmerited ." I remarked. " In all the classes I have with him the teachers tend to use his work as an example, Ms Midori especially seems to use his work in English."

" Yeah, it's the same in math class with Professor Sartyr." Jasmine chimed in. " Cute and smart, it's just too bad he's such a pariah otherwise he'd be good boyfriend material."

" Is that all you think about?" Alexis asked clearly tired of us bringing up boys around her.

" I don't know Lexi he is kinda cute. Want me to scope him out for you?" I asked in a teasing manner.

" I'm only interested in him as an opponent." Alexis responded. " Though I want to try and beat Jaden before I duel him."

"Alright I guess I better go." I said as  I got up realizing I would have to go up to him, walking up to where Ben was sitting, as I reached him I introduced myself as nicely as possible. " Hi Cutie. I'm Mindy and I guess we'll be partners for this project."

Ben looked up from his deck startled. "I'm Ben, but since you came over here you probably knew that already. I'm sure it'll be a pleasure working with you." He awkwardly stumbled out in introduction.

" Alright now that everyone has paired up please send one of you up to draw a paper containing the type your group will be assigned." Said Dr. Crowler.

"I'll go up." I said as I was still standing, I spun around and walked back up to the front of the classroom.

I grabbed a paper out of the bowl and was handed some papers by Dr. Crowler and given a brief explanation of what each one was, I then jogged back up to where Ben was while scanning the papers.