Chapter 18

Tony freefalls through the air, as the pod follows behind him. The laser signals of the pod scan Tony's arm, locking onto the bracelet readers. The pod begins transforming into the Mark VII suit. Latching onto Tony, the suit spreads out onto his back, covering him protectively. Iron Man quickly engages the flight boosters, propelling himself up into the air, and away from the ground or gazing civilians.

Loki stands up in the penthouse, angrily glaring at the suit. "And there's one other person you pissed off!" Tony's voice comes through the suit, aiming a hand blaster at Loki, "his name was Phil."

Loki raises his scepter, prepared to fire. But Iron Man fires first, knocking him down.

The CMS device whirs to life, a beam shooting into the sky. The beam forms a vortex, opening up another portal. Up in the portal, the chitauri snarl as they fly through the opened portal.

Tony looks up at the opened portal, his screen switching to an analysis of the aliens. "Right. Army." Shooting up into the sky, Iron Man charges at the invading aliens. From his shoulder, mini missiles pop out and are launched at the aliens. Several of them are taken down, exploding into small and large pieces of metal. But more come out from the portal, charging at Iron Man, as the hero dodges the blasts of energy from the aliens.

DOWN ON THE STREET

People of Manhattan, step out of their cars, or stop walking, as they look up to the sky in panic. Chitauri fly down above them, firing their weapons at them. Cars blow up from the hits, as people run in fear. Storefronts are aflame, as explosions rip through the streets. Flames and stones rain down from the explosions that hit the buildings sides. A domino effect ripples across the bridge. People all around run for cover, many going inside buildings as they watch from the windows.

STARK TOWER

Loki walks onto the balcony, his gold armor shimmering on. He stares at the fighting, flourishing his arms out in pure happiness. A loud boom echoes through the air, as the chitauri fly across the sky. Thor lands on the balcony below, using his hammer to point at the tesseract. "Loki! Turn off the tesseract or I'll destroy it!"

"You can't. There is no stopping it," Loki says, pointing his scepter to Thor. "There is only the war!"

"Then so be it." Loki jumps from the balcony, charging at Thor. Their weapons clash, as they battle. Loki unleashes another bout of pent-up rage and jealousy, as Thor defends himself against his brother's anger. Loki swings his scepter behind his head, firing energy at Thor. Blocking the energy, Thor steps closer to his brother. But the hammer and scepter collide with each other, creating a surge of energy that knocks down the letter k from the tower.

Down on the streets, the police drive onto the scene as civilians run all around. One officer steps out of his car, watching the chitauri fly past him in the sky with Iron Man leading them.

The Quinjet flies towards the city, Black Widow and Hawkeye piloting the plane. "Stark, we're on your three. Heading northeast."

"What did you stop for drive through?" Tony asks, looking at his screen which holds a video call with the Widow. "Swing up Park, I'm gonna lay 'em out for you."

Iron Man flies in front of the tower, chitauri following. Black Widow spots them, and begins firing at the aliens as Hawkeye maneuvers to follow. Swinging around a tall building, chitauri come around the other side, as Widow fires them. Iron Man flies up past a building with chitauri following but some crash into the building.

"Sir," Jarvis interrupts, "we have more incoming."

"Fine," Tony grunts, "let's keep them occupied." Iron Man flies back up to the portal, firing at the aliens who fly towards him.