Chapter 12

THE LAB

THE LAB

Tony looks surprised at his aunt, as Steve puffs his chest out. "Put on the suit," Steve says, breaking the silence, "let's go a few rounds."

Thor laughs, "you people are so petty...and tiny."

Tony steps away from Steve and Rose, rubbing his head. Rose glances around, catching her reflection in a window. 'Why does this keep appearing?'

'Infinity stones are nearly as old as me and my friends,' Druig's voice rings through her head, 'the mind stone is the same gold as my telepath eyes, as well as your one eye.'

'The only thing...' Rose trails off, finally glancing at the scepter.

'That's right,' Druig confirms, 'once you're away from the scepter your eye should return to normal.'

Rose turns back to the conversation, "Agent Romanoff, would you escort Dr Banner back to his..."

"Where? You rented my room," Banner cuts off, gesturing out the door.

"The cell was just in case..." Fury tries to explain, but Banner cuts him off again.

"In case you needed to kill me, but you can't! I know! I tried!" Banner reveals, Rose looking at the man sadly. A beat of silence comes over the group, but Banner continues. "I got low. And I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out!" Everyone watches Banner, as he explains the lowest moment for him, "so I moved on. I focused on helping other people. I was good, until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk." Banner slowly gets more upset as he stares at Romanoff. The woman remains unnerved. "You wanna know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You wanna know how I stay calm?"

Nat and Fury slowly place their hands on their guns watching the man. During his rant, he had unknowingly picked up the scepter. "Doctor Banner..." Steve is the one to speak up, "put down the scepter."

"Bruce," Rose says softly, stepping  closer, "it's alright now." Rose takes the scepter from his hands. Just then, the computer beeps, making everyone turn to it.

"Thank you," Bruce tells the woman kindly. "Sorry, kids. You don't get to see my little party trick after all."

"Located the Tesseract?" Thor asks. Nat walks over to the computer with Bruce, watching him work.

"I can get there faster," Tony cuts in.

"Tony, don't get ahead of yourself," Rose tells him, placing the scepter on the stand and remaining beside it.

"Look, all of us..." Steve begins saying but Thor cuts him off.

"The Tesseract belongs on Asgard, no normal human is a match for it."

Tony turns to leave but Steve grabs the man's arm. "You're not going alone!"

"You gonna stop me?"

"Put on the suit, let's find out."