Chapter 17

"That's not the point," Steve tries saying.

"That is the point," Tony turns back to Steve, "that's Loki's point. He hit us all right where we live. Why?"

"To tear us apart," Steve catches on.

"He had to conquer his greed," Tony folds his arms, thinking as he speaks. "But he knows he has to take us out to win, right? And with the Ice Queens new powers, he's set back, but even then he figured out to stop her for a short time. Yet that's what he wants. He wants to beat us and he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience."

"Right, Rose and I caught his act in Stuttgart."

"Yeah, that's just a preview. This is..." Tony walks up the steps again, lightly pacing. "This is opening night. Loki's a full-tilt diva. He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered..." Tony trails off, finally coming to the realization. "Son of a bitch!"

Steve realizes what Tony is getting at, as the two men walk out of the detention cell. "You go get your suit, and I'll go get Rose." The two men go their separate ways, preparing themselves for the fight to come.

STARK TOWER

On top of the Stark tower, Selvig works on the CMS device which has been set up on the rooftop of the tower. The Tesseract's glow grows, as Selvig watches it.

MEDICAL ROOM

Steve walks into the medical room, his uniform on once more. Nat looks over at him, unprepared. "Time to go. Where's Rose?"

"I don't know, she left about two minutes ago," Nat informs, "and go where?"

"Damnit. I'll tell you on the way, can you fly one of those jets?" Just then Barton walks out of the restroom, looking over at Cap.

"I can." Steve looks over at Nat, the red head nodding to confirm Clint's on their side.

"You got a suit?" Steve asks.

"Yeah."

"Then suit up. Meet in the below deck hanger, I'm going to try and find Rose."

HALLWAY OF THE HELICARRIER