Chapter 34

I stopped crying when I heard the noise of footsteps.

But they weren't ordinary footsteps.

They were mouse footsteps.

I was lucky enough to have good hearing, thanks to my werewolf abilities which were all but gone.

I looked up to see the mouse I'd handled before sitting in front of me, staring at me with its little black eyes.

It gave a squeak and tore across the room, stopping at the box. Then it looked up and once again gave a squeak.

I became suddenly curious as to why the mouse was acting this way.

Deciding to follow my curiosity, I became a mouse too and scuttled over to where the other mouse was sitting. As I arrived, the mouse gave a squeak and squeezed itself behind the box. I followed.

There, behind the large box, was a hole. A dark little mouse hole.

The mouse had already squeezed itself in and I heard a squeak from inside.

I followed, sending a 'wish me luck' message to conscience, who still hadn't shown herself.

The tunnel was small and dark and for a very long time, I felt a déjà vu from the night in the forest, following the crow in the dark of the night.

I gave a squeak, looking for reassurance. For a seconds was scared that I had been fooled again, but a reassuring squeak came from a little way down the tunnel.

It was about this time that the first door came into view. It was more off hole really, but on closer inspection, I realized it led into a room. The room was empty and much like Isabelle's. It held a few boxes of junk and a broken stone fireplace. It surprised me very much that this tunnel made by a mouse led to another room.

Trying my luck, I continued down the tunnel and to another hole. The holes were off to the right side of me and the tunnel had to be inside the wall itself.

The next hole had a small girl with feathery white wings. She had to be at least 7 years old. She was fast asleep, her face covered in dirt, as well as her hair. She was curled up in the corner of the room, much like Isabelle had been. There wasn't a bed to be seen in this room either. I felt a strong surge of pity for all the people locked up in this old hotel.

A squeak coming from the tunnel reminded me that I had to keep going. So, after one last look at the poor little girl, I set off once again down the tunnel.

After three more empty rooms, I finally found an occupied one. It had Isabelle.

She was pacing back and forth in the room, now and then she would kick the door. I was surprised she wasn't asleep, i mean it was about 2am.

I scuttled into the dim room.

She turned and looked at me in disgust.

"another mouse?" she groaned "I thought I got rid of you?"

I shifted into my human form.

"well I'm back again" I grinned at her.

It took her a second to realize.

"JESS" she squealed, wrapping me in a hug.

"SSSH" I said hastily "they're still guarding downstairs!"

"they went to sleep long ago" she giggled "I've been checking. Every time I kick the door, someone will yell at me. Nobody has yelled for a while now".

I grinned

"that's pretty smart' I admitted.

"so what are you doing here?" she asked "have you thought up a way of escaping?".