Chapter 23

Hey guys :)

Sorry, this is the shortest chapter EVER!

But the previous chapter huge :P

I'll post a bigger one tomorrow!

Sorry and thanks :)

~LightBunny11

_____

The snow tigers came into view, a large sign saying "Extraordinary" and "breathtaking" and other words. Two tigers (the snow and the regular) were shown on the sign.

We made our way towards the enclosure.

.

There were quite a few people there, including lots of children pressed up against the fence or pointing at them and yelling every time they moved.

To be honest they looked quite irritated, but wouldn't you be if you were stuck in a small field with so many people staring at you day after day.

"Conscience?" I thought.

A yawn sounded inside my head.

"what?" asked a drowsy voice, belonging to my 'wolf'.

"is it possible I can learn forms without shifting into it?" I asked "like, can I learn a form for the first time but not shift".

"I guess" she muttered "sure, I can do that for you, but it's preferred If you did shift".

"I'm in public" I thought "I kind of need to keep this a secret".

"fine" she muttered "but early shifters used it to either test out their new form or shift really quickly into something dangerous to defend enemies etc, but it should be ok"

"should be?" I thought worriedly.

"it'll be fine" she assured me "just do what you need to do and I'll take care of the rest"

"and what do you mean by early shifters?" I asked her

"what do you think? Your the only one?" she seemed to be mocking me "sorry to disappoint, but there were lots more in the early days. Hunters have hunted them down and numbers have reduced, anyway, get out there and learn some new forms. You're wasting time talking to me".

And with that, she disappeared.

"Jess?" a voice brought me back to reality "Earth to Jess?"

The place was virtually empty now, save the small family in the corner.

"uh yeah" I muttered "let's do this".

We waited for the family to leave and I then pressed my hand up against the fence separating me from the large animals.

...

...

...

Nothing happen.

"Felix?" I called. He was currently reading the sign talking about them.

"what's wrong?" he practically jogged over.

"it-it's not working" I said confused, staring out at the cheetah staring back.

"maybe it's the fence" he suggested quietly "or maybe they're too far away. Are you concentrating? Maybe you need to concentrate harder depending on how far away they are?".

I nodded, turning back.

I focused harder this time.

White..

Tail...

Paws...

Claws...

Pattern...

The feeling crept up me slightly.

I tried harder.

Slight short fur.....

Sharp teeth...

I scrunched my face up in frustration, closing my eyes.

The feeling grew stronger by a small amount...

I imagined myself prowling through the small enclosure, sleeping on the large rock provided...

"Jess" Conscience called in my head "stop! It's impossible! I can't do it!"

I ignored her, the feeling pulsing through me..

"JESS!" she practically screamed "YOUR GOING TO SHIFT"

...

The feeling was like pins and needles in every part of me.

I smiled slightly, more relaxed.

...

The feeling made its way towards my head, leaving my legs, arms and everything else behind.

...

Then it was gone. Just like that. But I felt a feeling of achievement, like I had done it. It was the same feeling I had gotten when I shifted those other times, but before it was more noticeable this time.

"that was a close one" Conscience breathed a heavy sigh.

"you got scared I would shift" I pointed out.

"I was the one that STOPPED you, Jess" she said irritably before leaving again.

I felt slightly guilty now, I hadn't realized she'd tried so hard to stop my secret from getting out.

"im sorry" I said to her, but I knew she wouldn't be listening.