Chapter 15

I was out before the sun had risen fully into the sky, bathing the town in a golden glow.

My feet pounded on the soft earth and I shifted mid-run, landing on all fours and continuing at a steady pace.

It was peaceful and quiet. The only sounds I could hear was the soft padding of my paws and the sound of tweeting birds overhead.

I relaxed into the run, trying to make my paces longer and faster.

Felix hadn't been able to train me for the past few weeks, so I'd been practicing instead.

Everyday I would get up early, shift into my wolf, go for a run and return just in time for breakfast

A growl came from behind me.

I turned to see a brown wolf with glowing yellow eyes chasing me.

His/her teeth were bared and it's eyes were concentrated on me.

It was faster then me and began to catch up, snapping at my tail.

Whimpering, I zigzagged to try and lose it, but it was no use.

It launched itself into the air, landing straight on me.

We tumbled down a hill, pine cones and rocks digging into my back.

The wolf was growling loudly and trying to bite me.

We landed in a heap on the mossy ground, the river just meters away.

The aggressive wolf was growling and snapping at me.

Whimpering, I tried to show I meant no harm, but it was no use.

The wolf let out a loud and meaningful howl, not that I knew what it meant.

I used the time the wolf had used howling, to run. At least I would get a head start this time.

I ran for the house, dodging trees and jutting rocks. I was so close, then I felt sharp teeth close around my ankle.

I gave a loud squeal and tried to break free, but the wolf just gripped tighter.

I could hear the sound of pounding paws a short distance away, making it obvious that I needed to escape before they got here.

So I did something I wish I hadn't done, but I was desperate to do.

I turned around and bit the wolf on its front paw.

The wolf howled and let go, giving me enough time to run.

I heard the many wolves howling behind me.

***

"sweety! Have you heard the news?!" mum greeted me at the back door "a wolf just got attacked in the forest! Did you-".

Then she saw my ankle.

"ohmigosh!!" Isabelle squealed and ran out of the house.

"y-you attacked that p-poor l-little wolf?" mum had tears in her eyes "why would you d-do such a thing?!".

I shook my head at her in annoyance.

"I was attacked" I explained "a wolf had me around the ankle! What was I supposed to do? Let it chew my ankle off?! No! After about 30 seconds of agony, I bit it back as my own defense! What would YOU have me do, mum? What would YOU have done in my situation?!".

Mum looked taken aback. She sat down on the kitchen stool.

"I think you should bathe that" she nodded towards my ankle, which was already healing.