(Arc 2) Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Father Issues

Warning: Mentions of Unhealthy Father-Daughter relationships, manipulation, gaslighing, this chapter can disturb those who are sensitive to toxic, abusive and controlling parent. There's a difference between strict and controlling. As a daughter who grew up with a toxic controlling dad, what happens in this chapter is similar to what i experienced in real life

Nine Provinces: Symbolic term for China as a whole
Sire: a respectful form of address for someone of high social status, especially a king.
Yimu: Maternal Aunt, respectful address
Yifu: Maternal Uncle, respectful address
Tryst: a private romantic rendezvous between lovers.

I will skip over the scenes of Shuai Chen's opera and the whole Mid autumn festival and lantern battles since it will be shown in flashbacks of the near future.

_________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

"So what you're saying is that, her grace went to Yingyue with my son?"

The king was flabbergasted, out of all the possible conclusions he could imagine he never thought you would be involved. "Yes your majesty, her grace wasn't lowkey about it..." The first guard looked at his side, not capable to face Xie Lian's father

"Why didn't you tell me about it man? I never heard a single thing" The second guard looked at him puzzled "Thats because you were busy planning what to do during the festival, daydreaming which brothel will you visit"

The second guard knew there was no excuses, there were only two guards assigned on Xie Lian's room. The other heard what was going on, the second was busy daydreaming to focus on his surroundings.

Even though the first guard knew that Xie Lian was lying about being alone, he couldn't face you himself with disappointed eyes. He was aware that you snuck out with their prince, yet what was he gonna do? Prevent a couple's date because he's a single pringle?

Now face to face with the king who had disappointed eyes, he also knew he can't directly scold his daughter-in-law. Who was he to do so? He was a mortal, you are a high-ranking God.

The king sighed and rubbed his temples "Go find Mu Qing and Feng Xin and tell them to fetch my son and her grace..."

"Pardon me for asking this all of a sudden your majesty...." The first guard's voice trailed down "What is it?"

"Why is the princess the heir? Shouldn't it be the prince?"

A moment of silence fell.

The king coughed "You surely don't read the holy scriptures don't you?"

The first guard went stiff, feeling embarrassed "I uh...i actually...haven't.."

"Well then let me tell you..."

The royalty in the heavens is a matriarchal family.

Only the females can become rulers, although their husband's can still share equal power, the empress is always the one in charge.

This is because the founder of the original family of gods that rule the heavens, she created the great wall of the nine provinces and built the first divine palace of the heavenly emperor.

The Great Wall of the Nine Provinces, it's original name belonged to an archaic kingdom whom you were originally worshipped in.

Even though gods are natural to transform to the opposite gender, the gender assigned in birth is what the hierarchy base on, if your brother was just like you, assigned female at birth, he would be the heir.

Another factor is the curse of fertility being passed on, it's original term is the blessing of a womb. As stated before, every heiress shall bleed every month for eternity and will only pause during pregnancy to ensure the bloodline doesn't die. This curse strengthens your position as the heir, because you have it.