Bad Dreams - Chp. 6

In the last chapter...

His presence made me happy and I had no clue why. For a while I just stared at the ceiling and then felt myself slowly drifting away into a deep sleep. 

I was sitting in my bed with my headphones on and listened to ACDC, bobbing along to the rythm. It was dark outside, but I didn't bother to turn the lights on. Music made me so happy, no matter what's going on in my life, it was my escape and motivation, my sun in the darkest times.

I heard a knock on the door and stood up, sighing. I had been so comfortable. I opened the door and expected someone to stand in front of me - but there was no one in sight. I looked down the hallway, it was darker now and I nearly couldn't see my own hand. I switched on the light and went over to Caroline's door and opened it.

She wasn't there. Her room was empty, the lights were out and the windows closed. Where was she? I closed the door and went to Laura's room - just the same here. It was horrifying lonely and cold in our apartment, so I decided to get out and wandered through the building. It was dead silent everywhere and the lights didn't work.

Although everyone seemed to be gone, I felt like someone was watching me. Maybe it was just my mind being weird, but what if it was true? All I knew is that I didn't feel safe. I felt a tapping on my shoulder and turned around in an alarming state. Am I losing my mind? There's nobody in sight.

What the hell was going on here? I started to sob and ran down the stairs, nearly tripping at my speed. I just wanted to get out of here.

I left the building, sweat ran down my chest as I was thinking of a way to escape this nightmare. There's nowhere to go, I'm out on my own. I looked around in anxiety, noticing something. A little boy stood at the edge of the rooftop.

I felt a shiver coming down my body. My chest tightened and I screamed: "No! Don't jump! Stay where you are!" and I ran inside again, sprinted up the stairs, ignoring the stinging pain I felt, until I saw the door which led to the rooftop. Short of breath, I pulled it open, saw the boy and ran towards him. I didn't want him to take another step. He turned around and stared at me, his look empty and cold.

My breathing got faster and so did my heartbeat, I wished this was over, that this was just some twisted dream. Then the little boy said: "You can't save me. You messed up. It's all your fault" and he let himself fall into nothingness.

I was frozen still with fear, as I was plunging to the ground. I scream and when my body crashes to the floor, I'm right back where I was before.

I found myself in my room, laying on the ground, sobbing and sweating. How could that have been a dream? It felt so real... I just woke up but the boys words were already haunting me. "It's all your fault." But I didn't even know him...  Maybe he was a metaphor for my past.

Memories popped up at the back of my head, but I pushed them away. I couldn't handle that right now.

This wasn't the first time I was having bad dreams, though. Well, they're not dreams - they're nightmares. And I have them on regular basis. The YouTube business keeps me awake, yeah, but that's something I LIKE to do and it's worth the lack of sleep. Having dreams about death and abnormal things, I'd say, is not so appealing.

Sometimes I even stayed awake as long as possible, procrastinating so I don't have to sleep and see those horrors in my dreams.

I was still sitting on the ground, tying to catch my breath while I tried to figure this out, when I heard someone move behind me. Oh, right. I forgot about Michael, who was sharing the bed with me.