Chapter 13: Gladion Battle Starts!

Serena woke up earlier than the rest of the group to make everyone breakfast as a little surprise for everyone in the morning, she was about to start and make french toast, when she noticed her Sylveon and Delphox approach her to help out.

"Oh, good morning you two, I guess you wanted to help me out?" Serena asked her Pokemon who nodded, "You two are sweet, alright, we need eggs, cinnamon, milk, and the toast which should be in the cabinet, I'll get the eggs out, Sylveon, you get the cinnamon, Delphox, you get the toast out, got it?" The Pokemon grinned while nodding as the three quickly worked together to make french toast.

(Or, should it be called "Kalosian Toast" since Kalos is Pokemon-France, oh well, just call it one of those, I really don't know if I should so I'll just call it French Toast since it's way simpler for me to do that instead of saying Kalosian over and over.)

"This week has a lot, Ash, Max, and Bonnie having battles today, Lillie's birthday, plus Trenor and Mark's battles tomorrow, then Minami and Golly get their battles the day after. Along with having to get evidence to prove Ash's innocence..." Sylveon groaned, "At least we already have our vacation days being spent so we can stay for the tournament."

"Yeah, I made it very clear I was going to be spending time with my family during this tournament to cheer them on and help out, as opposed to sitting in an office half the day." Serena added onto Sylveon's comment, "Me and Ash also had to make Lillie effectively be a free babysitter for Chase and Sarah a lot the past few months because of us getting the tournament prepped, and according to Snowy...it was getting to her. I hope that since we're going to be spending time with the kids and allow Lillie to have a good birthday." Delphox and Sylveon nodded, as Delphox noticed Delia come into the room, acting like something was on her mind.

"Hey, Serena dear, you want some help?" Delia offered, as Serena was happy to accept it, as the two ladies were able to efficiently make a large amount of delicious french toast. When everyone woke up, they ate happily together with their family and Goh's. Strangely thought, Lillie wasn't really talking...at all, during breakfast.

"Hey, Snowy? Do you know if something is bothering Lillie?" Mark whispered to Snowy, as Snowy looked at Lillie, then back at Mark with a concerned look.

"I really don't know, she might just be sore from the contest last night." Snowy sighed, "Still, you haven't even spoken a word to me this morning, Mom, you alright?" Lillie looked up from her food bowl with a bit of french toast and Pokemon chow in it to look at Snowy, before looking down again to continue eating.

Golly started recall to what might've happened with Lillie yesterday, trying to figure out what could cause Lillie to act like this, but they quickly had to say goodbye to Ash so he could (as Red) go to his match.

Later, Ash/Red is staring down Gladion on the battlefield, he already decided his team would be Incineroar, Sirfetch'd, Dragonite, Pidgeot, Talonflame, and Ambipom.

"You know, your sister yesterday managed to beat Misty easily, and Misty is one of the strongest people in my group, so I must say I'm impressed by Sevestar's strength, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna be so easy." Gladion declared, "I'll beat you here and now, go Nihillie!" He sent out his shiny Nihilego, which Ash recognized, this was the one that stayed with Mohn in the Crown Tundra during most of his Lillie's human life. The Nihilego seemed to be a bit tougher than the last time he saw it, but he decided he would make this quick to knock it out, and sent out Talonflame to keep them off guard. Gladion was surprised by Red's choice, but they started their battle, where Talonflame dodged Power Gem and Toxic to land a Steel Wing, which dealt insane damage while sending the shiny Ultra Beast to the ground, and Talonflame increased his attack with Swords Dance, doubling his attack!

"Now, use Steel-Charge!" Red ordered, as Talonflame nosedived towards the Nihilego with Flame Charge and Steel Wing, but Gladion while shocked, smirked a bit, before saying his next attack.

"Foul Play!" Gladion ordered, as Red was startled by this as Talonflame was hit in the face to be sent flying back from the knock back while Nihilego did go down from the attack, "You thought you could just set up a bit of an attack boost and get away with it?"

(Fun fact: The only Pokémon in the anime canonically to use Foul Play is James' Inkay, and I think it only used it in its debut episode a total of once...due to this being my second favorite Dark type move, only behind Knock Off, this somewhat hurts. -UltimateGoomba.)

"Incredible! Gladion's Nihilego used Foul Play, a move that uses the target's own attack stat! Since Talonflame increased his OWN attack, Nihilego was able to do a lot of damage to the Fire/Flying type to at least dish out a lot of damage to Talonflame!" The commentator exclaimed, "What will Gladion send out now?!"

"Alright, Lycanroc, your turn!" Gladion yelled out, as his Midnight Lycanroc hit the field.

"How much do you think Ash's Lycanroc is a bit upset he's not battling his old rival again?" Mark chuckled in the VIP room to Minami, who just rolled her eyes. With more aggression than Talonflame, Red was forced to switch out his Fire/Flying type out, and sent out his Fighting Type bird Sirfetch'd.

"Alright, Sirfetch'd, get in close with Leaf Blade!" Red ordered, as Sirfetch'd did so, and while landing a hit, got hit by a strong Counter, but this was all part of the plan, "Meteor Assault!" Lycanroc didn't get a chance to react as he was swiftly knocked out by the super powerful Fighting type attack! Gladion had to try and get back in it soon.

However, he then remembered that half of his remaining team is weak to Fighting, he brought Nihilego, Lycanroc, Silvally, Crobat, Weavile, and then a Blastoise he got in Kanto after the betrayal. Due to Sirfetch'd having Leaf Blade, that meant the only Pokémon that mostly had a chance was Crobat, so he had to send it out!

Back with the Ketchum and Mobile families, Chase, Sarah, and Susanna were really enjoying the battle, and so were the adults. Lillie however, mostly just watched silently, she didn't seem to really enjoy this battle, mostly looked like she was a bit lost in thought. Golly was also trying to figure out why Lillie would be like this, when she remembered what happened with Trenor and Mark when they took Lillie outside. Lillie noticed her parents in the park, and slowly approached them, wanting to try and reunite with them in some way at least, when Mark and Trenor basically told her she wasn't allowed to interact with them at all. She then came to the realization what it pretty much was to Lillie. It was telling her she wasn't allowed to ever try to reconcile with her possibly still hurt family, effectively saying that the happy memories with them...the blood, sweat, and tears she put into spending time with them...the hard work she, Ash, and their Pokémon put into overcoming Lillie's trauma and bringing her family back together...and even any love Lillie still had left for her family no matter how many times they wronged her in the past...never mattered. Golly then remembered how Lillie seemed a bit desperate to take out Beautifly during the contest battle when she got launched in the air. Lillie was broken-hearted, and was starting to lose her ability to feel compassion and love...

"She's losing her love...just like...me..." Golly gasped in a whisper, as she looked back at Lillie, finally realizing how her eyes were staring to have a very slight brown tint at the bottom...