book clubs and sleepovers

—

Ryder was unaware of whose bright idea it was for all of them to read the dread doctor's book, but when she finds out she'll have a few words for them. She easily could have avoided reading it by simply saying 'no', but she considered herself to be a fair woman and if Isaac and Austin were participating, she would as well.

Lydia made herself comfortable on one of the couches in Scott's living room, "My mom's book club usually has more wine."

"Being eighteen and drinking wine sounds a little weird to me." Isaac admitted,

"That's because wine is for single moms and mafia wives." Ryder said, lulling her head back against the couch she sat on.

Austin, being on the ground in between her legs, chuckled, his mind going back to all the times his mom chose wine over beer at literally any event they went to. Around that time, she technically wasn't consider a 'single' mom but his father didn't do shit to help so it counted.

"They also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles spoke up.

"That's why Malia's here." Scott said.

"So none of us go running into traffic?"

"Or worse."

"What's worse than that?" Austin frowned,

"Like what happened to Judy." Malia's words got looks of confusion from the group, "Chapter 14."

"Maybe I should have my mother read it. She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone." Lydia said.

"Yeah, if it works."

"It has to."

"What's that mean?" Isaac looked at the strawberry blonde with furrowed brows.

"I think I saw them during my surgery." The Martin girl admitted, "When I look at the cover of the book...It's almost like..."

Lydia trailed off, trying her hardest to think about how she wanted to describe it. She didn't have to think long as Theo seemed to know exactly what she wanted to say,

"A memory trying to surface."

"...Yeah."

Ryder's head snapped to the Raeken, her brown eyes narrowing slightly as she looked at him. She would've assumed he didn't feel her gaze seeing as he hadn't looked at her, but she could hear his heartbeat speed up when she locked eyes on him.

She looked away when she felt Austin subconsciously rub her calf, successfully bringing her attention away from Theo. She began running her fingers through his hair while her she took a quick glance at Stiles who sat in the kitchen with Malia.

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Kira asked,

"If they did something to me, I want to know what it is." Lydia shrugged.