missing scott

—

"Goodnight boys!"

"Night, mom!" Austin called back, Isaac following along with a quick, 'night'.

The George teen sighed softly, plopping down on his bed with a groan. Just as he thought he'd be able to close his eyes, a knock on his door had him shooting up.

"Yeah?"

"Can I come in?"

He frowned at the question, nodding before he realized he couldn't see him, "Yeah, sure."

Isaac walked in wearing an old pair of Austin's sweats and plain white tee shirt.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, uhm... i'm fine."

Austin had gathered a lot from being with Ryder for almost a year now, being able to read people's emotions was one of them. And looking at Isaac for just a second was enough for him to know that the Lahey was lying to him.

"You know, you shouldn't start your first night in my house lying to me."

"I'm not lying, i just..." He took a deep breath before sighing out, "Do you have something against me, or? I can talk to Scott, I can ask him for a place to stay if you don't want me here, just—"

"No, no. It's nothing against you, i swear." Austin rubbed his hands over his face in frustration, "My mom, she just—she gets attached, okay? I don't want her to get too close to you just for you leave. That's all it is, truly."

Isaac hummed, nodding thoughtfully, he was assuming that the issue had a lot to do with the picture of the small boy he saw the minute he walked into the house. But he didn't want to make the teen uncomfortable,

"Right. I thought it had something to do with me having a crush on your girlfriend."

"Hilarious." Austin deadpanned, though Isaac could see the twitch of his lip, an immediate indication that he wanted to smile.

"I know." Isaac cleared his throat, "Speaking of Ryder..."

Austin raised a brow, "What about her?"

"How is she? How are you guys? Your relationship."

"We're good." He nodded, "I mean, I've grown used to being around her every second of the day to the point where it feels kind of weird and unnatural when i'm not with her."