Chapter 30

"Veronica? They checked with her. The detectives said that there was no child living in her motel with her." My dad said.

"When we first left, she had me staying for a week with her cousin in LA. She said it would be best for me to get used to our new place while she finished dealing with a few loose ends back home. Her cousin Tanya came and picked me up the night she left with me. We picked her up from the airport then we took Veronica's car back to LA to wait for her. I don't remember everything yet, but my memories are slowly coming back to me."

"Chrissy? Honey?"

Mom was back on the phone now. "Yes?"

"What did she tell you? Did you ever ask about why you couldn't go home?"

"In the beginning she told me you had an amazing job offer abroad it was crucial for you guys to go. I remember asking her to call you and she would tell me that you were in a place where there was no reception. She insisted you would call as soon as you were able. After awhile I stopped asking and over time, I just believed you were never coming back. Then when I would remember things and talk about them, she convinced me I had imagined places and people. Like the lighthouse, home, the sailboats you would design, and even Eric. Before we ever left, she had started calling me Periwinkle instead of Chrissy. Eventually she even shortened that to Perri. I have been just Perri for the last 10 years. So, when the time comes, and we see each other if you call me, and I don't respond to Chrissy or Christine I am sorry but I'm not 100% her anymore. I'm trying to figure everything out and find who I am?"

"Oh, Sweetie, if you are more comfortable as Perri we will adjust as well. I had heard her on several occasions calling you Periwinkle. Then one afternoon she was making you cookies and I overheard her tell you 'Periwinkle, come to the counter mama made cookies.' I suspected something was wrong then and that is why your father and I had fired her. That night when we came home you were gone. You are our number one priority. You always have been, if ever we would have gone abroad you would have come with us. If you need time to find out who you are now, we will be here for you however we can be. But to be honest, I would really like to see you. I haven't been able to hold you for 11 years. We missed so much of your growing up."

She was crying again, and I couldn't stop my own tears as I cried along with her. It wasn't fair! Why did she have to do what she did? I wasn't hers! I was theirs and she poisoned my mind into believing their work was more important than me. Then when I assumed the worst about them, she let me. And after all that she attempted to take away my memories as well.

"We are so sorry Chri...Perri. If only we had caught her weird behavior sooner this may have been prevented. I'm sorry I failed to see her for who she was. As your father I should have known. I'm sorry I failed you my dear, sweet daughter."

"You didn't fail me dad. She did! As a person who was only supposed to be a caretaker and support to you and mom, she is the one who failed over and over again. I see that now. I want you to know I missed you."

"Where are you now?" My mom's voice was anxious with a hint of panic to it.

"I'm safe mom. I'm not with her. When I realized everything, I left with Eric. And now my friends showed up, so I am with people who care about me and are helping me out with everything."

"I understand that but, please Perri? I need to see you. I need to know that this is real."

I sat contemplating my options. I could tell her where I was and find the courage to see them. Or I could tell them I needed a little more time and try to push it off for a little longer. I really wanted to see them. To be reunited with the parents I was taken away from. To the family I was forced to forget. I was just scared. What if I'm not who they expect me to be? I can't go back to that carefree little girl. I am not Chrissy anymore. I'm Perri, will they still want me? What will they do about my mom? Well Victoria or Veronica or whoever she is? Was I ready to face it all? I was about to speak when dad's