Chapter 9

Leaving school, I decided I needed a little me time before the evening started. I sent Mal a quick message so she wouldn't worry and hopped into my car heading to the Curtis Island Lighthouse Overlook.

As I arrived, I headed down to the shoreline and walked to the right down about a half a mile. There was a place where a few years back the rocks had shifted causing an indent in the shoreline wall. It's just big enough for at most three adults. When walking or even passing by on a boat you would miss seeing it if you weren't watching for it.

I crawled inside taking my place where I could view the ocean best. I loved watching the waves hit against the rocks. The swirls of greys, blues, and greens always inspired my creativity.

I opened my sketchbook to my last unfinished drawing. It was a smaller lighthouse sitting on a piece of land that jutted out into the water surrounded by trees. The tower of the lighthouse was painted white while the cupola and gallery deck were a light minty green. This specific lighthouse appears in the majority of my drawings. On the few occasions I would draw the inside of the lighthouse it had a bright red spiral staircase.

This drawing takes place outside the lighthouse. Sitting on a cast iron bench outside is a little girl with piggy tails, her little hands covering her eyes. Behind a nearby tree is a little boy, who seems to be a little older than the girl, peeking from behind watching the girl. Peeking out a crack of the lighthouse door is another boy who seems to be a tad younger than the other two. The ocean in the background is calm as the rays from the setting sun gleam on the water.

I was just finishing the last touches on the surrounding trees when my phone alarm went off startling me. I quickly shut it off and started gathering my things. At least I didn't ruin my picture when I jumped. It's finally finished. I've been so busy lately I haven't been able to take time for me.

This is just what I needed before the upcoming events of the evening. If only I could stay longer, but I couldn't disappoint Colton. I glanced back at the ocean and took a deep breath taking in the setting sun on the horizon leaving hues of pinks and purples dancing along the waves. Then I turned and headed back to my car a busy night awaiting me.