Chapter 5

The first few weeks of school flew by faster than I thought possible. Our lunch table was slowly becoming more crowded since Colton joined us. Our beloved table of two now consisted of the entire football team and at least half of the cheerleaders. I never wanted to be part of the popular group, but it looks like I'm stuck now. And honestly, I don't necessarily dislike the feeling. I can tell Mallory is loving it and it is slowly growing on me.

At least it's still just the two of us Tuesday's, Thursday's, Friday's, Saturday's, and Sunday's. Those were the days we worked together at 'For the Love of Sweet's.' That was the name of Linda's bakery on the corner of Elm St. and Main. I started working there on the weekends after I turned 15. I soon realized Linda was one of the very select people my mom trusted me to be with.

I was dreading the first party of the year. The crew at our table never tired of discussing the yearly homecoming party at Drew's parent's estate. Drew was the football captain, and he is known to throw the best parties. Or so I've been told. I'm dreading it even more now that Mallory let it slip Friday that the day of our homecoming football game and Drew's party is also my 18th birthday. Yay me.

"Hey Perri!" Colton said pulling me from my thoughts.

"Hey Colton. What are you up to? Come to grab a snack?" I asked him.

"No, I'm here to apply for the bus boy position. I heard Mrs. ST Clair is looking for some help and with the two of you in your senior year she suspects you guys won't be available as often. So, I will also could fill in whenever she may need me." He was so enthusiastic about this job he reminded me of myself when I was his age.

I couldn't help but smile as his excitement was contagious.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at football practice?"

"Jeez Mallory you sound like you're his mother. He is here to save our rear ends by applying for a job here at this lovely establishment." I told her with a smile.

"Oh no, no way!" She exclaimed.

This shocked me. I thought Mallory liked Colton. The way she was acting though seemed like him working with us would be a disaster.

"Mal! What's wrong with you? Why don't you want Colton working here?" I couldn't grasp why she was acting like this.

"Girl! Did you see what has happened since he joined our table at school? Colton, I love ya man but if you work here my job is going to become busier and more hectic than it already is. Nope! I'm good. Maybe try over at the diner across the street." She was so serious.

Colton looked crushed. "Oh, I see, I didn't mean to attract attention at school. I'm sorry. I'll try to tell the guys to back off. I just wanted this opportunity to work with the two of you. If it wasn't for you guys, I would have been so lost that first week. I thought this was a way I could pay the two of you back for letting me be 'in' with the older chicks and helping me feel accepted. I'll go check the diner."

Before he could leave, I glared at Mallory, but I could tell his words had already had an impact on her.

"Fine I'll put in a good word to my mom. But if we start getting uber busy it's your butt that's gotta keep up. I ain't gonna be doing my job and yours. You got it?" She had a soft spot for Colton I could tell. If it had been anyone else, she would have stood her ground and never caved.

"I promise! I learn very quickly I won't be a burden and I'll hold my own weight around here." He looked hopeful once again, which made me smile. I don't understand why I have this unexplainable urge to protect him. Maybe it's because I never had any younger siblings. He was growing on both of us, I guess.

"Wait here I'll go get my mom." She started walking off towards the back. As she went, we could hear her as she yelled "Mom! Our new bus boy is here, and he wants to meet you!"

We looked at each other and laughed, me knowing he undoubtedly had the job. And he was just grateful to have a chance to work with us. At least here I could help watch out for him, I thought as I got back to work.