Chapter 7

I didn't know what to say to Colton as we stepped into the Camden Public Library and found our way to a table in the back. Here we could study and not be disturbed.

"Ok Colton let's get busy." I tried to make my voice as reassuring as possible but, I knew I wasn't fooling him. "Turn to chapter 3 and we can start there, if something doesn't make sense tell me and we will stop and review it. Ok?"

Instead of being his usual cheery self he was closed off and withdrawn. It was a little disheartening that he was only responding with a nod of his head whenever I would ask him a question.

We continued to study like this for some time. He was asking minimal questions then going back to being closed off again. I was about to lose my mind and my anger towards my mom was slowly growing. She had no right to be angry at Colton. Her weird overacting was getting out of hand. It seemed like the closer I got to my birthday the more she lashed out. I mean I'm still in high school it's not like I'm going to run off and leave her. Yes, she is overbearing most days, but she is still my mom.

"Hey there you beautiful people!" Mallory whisper, yelled as she approached our table. Boy, was I glad to see her. We could really use some of her bubbly personality to cheer things up. However, Mal, being her very intuitive self that she is, summed things up in a heartbeat.

"What happened? I mean I know calculus sucks but its no reason for this kind of melancholy." She glanced back and forth between Colton and I. "What did you do to this poor kid he looks as if he is about to cry. And all that buzzing, my guess is someone else ain't to happy little Colton ain't answering his phone."

With my thoughts running a million miles a minute about the confrontation with my mom, I didn't even notice his phone had been going off. "Colton, if you need to answer your phone go ahead, we are just studying it's not like you're in the middle of a test with Mr. Matthews. It may be important." I tried to sound calm and understanding. My anger and frustration is in regards to my mom and her reaction at the house. I wasn't upset with anybody else. I needed Colton to understand that.

He silently agreed and stood up to take his call out front where he wouldn't be a distraction to others at the library who were trying to study.

As he walked away, Mallory glared at me. "Ok, spill. What happened today? I thought you two were going to study at your place? I showed up looking for you and your mom was practically pacing the floors like she was waiting for them to open up and swallow her. It took a good like, 5 minutes for her to even notice my presence and answer me."

"Oh, just my mom being the annoying overbearing self she is."

"Oh no, Perri, what happened?" Mallory asked looking at me with so much compassion it was hard not to cry out in frustration.

I explained what had happened that morning the best I could. Going over again the conversation that had taken place between the two of us. I didn't know what to make of my mom's reaction to Colton. It just didn't add up. What was it specifically about Colton? Or was it the Hendrix's? Did she know them? I mean she didn't outright deny knowing them she just turned the conversation back to me. She was fine when I told her I was going to be tutoring. In fact, she had been so proud of me for stepping up and putting my brain to use to help others younger than me. She used to tell me I should become a teacher because I had a natural way of explaining things.

"I just don't understand Mal." I told her honestly, as the anger in me slowly subsided. Only the confusion remained.

"I don't know what to tell you Perri. I mean your mom has always been on the odd side when it comes to strangers in any way, shape, or form. But, this seems like a little much even for her. Colton's coming back, we will try and make sense of this later." She gave me a quick reassuring hug reminding me again that no matter what crazy stuff is going on at home I always had her.

"Hey guys, sorry about having to take off like that it was my brother. He's worried about my grades and doesn't want to see me falling behind. Especially because he knows how important football is to me. And I'm sorry Perri, if I was the cause of problems between you and your mom. I would never want you to be in trouble because of me. I can find a different tutor if I need to. Although, I must admit they probably wouldn't be half as good as you. I mean come on you older chicks know your stuff." He said that part with his normal cheesy grin making it hard for Mallory and I to keep our laughter at an acceptable volume for the library.

As the giggles subsided, I looked at him with a smile plastered to my face. "Colton nothing that happened between my mother, and I was your fault in any way shape or form. Sometimes my mom goes a little crazy when it comes to people she doesn't know." I tried to explain it in a way hopefully he would understand.

Mallory grunted and rolled her eyes "sometimes? Perri come on let's be honest here. Always! She always goes crazy around strangers. I mean we all know Colton can be a little strange but after the last few weeks he is no longer a stranger. And for as much as we talk about him even our moms shouldn't see him as one anymore."

I couldn't argue with her logic.

"Awww, you guys talk about me? All good stuff, right? I mean I know sometimes I can be a little annoying but admit it you both love me." Colton said with such assurance we couldn't argue with him.

"Yes, Colton, we love you. And yes, most definitely we only say good stuff about you." I told him with a wink.

We got back to studying in better spirits the confrontation with my mom put to the side for the time being. We decided whenever we needed to meet, we would do it at the library or the bakery for the time being. I didn't know what would happen when I returned home so I sent my mom a message before leaving the library, simply telling her I was going to draw, and I would be home later and to not wait on me for dinner. I walked out of the library with a smile knowing Mallory and I would be taking off Saturday morning for a few days away. With no school on Monday, we would be returning home sometime Monday evening. I couldn't wait for this chance to get away, even if only for a few days.