Chapter 2

I awoke the next morning to the buzz of my alarm. My first day of my senior year. I was shocked at how fast time has flown by. It seems like just yesterday Mom and I moved here and I started my first year of middle school. I was so scared and felt like I was so far away from everyone and everything I'd ever known. I didn't have many friends back in L.A as I was only in a public school for a short time when my mother deemed it "unsafe" and pulled me out and homeschooled me. So, coming to a new town and going to a public school all at the same time felt like a lot to 12-year-old me. But as I walked into my first class of the day, which just so happened to be my favorite subject, English, this fiery dark skinned, curly haired girl waved me over to sit by her. She then proceeded to announce to anyone within ear shot that I was her best friend so everyone better leave me alone or they would have to answer to her. And we have been best friends ever since.

I no more than stepped out of the shower when my phone beeped, alerting me that I had a new message.

"Hey girl you better be ready early I want to leave for school at 7:40 sharp! No excuses!" It was Mallory.

"Alright, don't get your panties in a twist. I'll be ready."

I quickly got dressed in my new ripped skinny jeans, I put my white t-shirt style blouse that tied in the front over the top of my black tank top and finished off my look with my black and white Jordans. I tossed my hair up into a ponytail leaving a few strands down the sides of my face. I made sure my locket was safely secured and on display for all to see. I don't know why my locket meant so much to me. I have had it for as long as I can remember, however the clasp has long been jammed stopping me from being able to open it. And I have no idea what the initials E.H and C.L stand for, but I know with every fiber in my being that it was mine. When I asked my mom about it, she said the clasp has always been stuck, that it was a gift from a little boy when I turned 5. But she says she has no recollection of his name.

Just then I heard a horn blaring from outside. Before Mal had a chance to come in and literally drag me out, I grabbed my backpack and rushed for the door. I stopped for a moment when I noticed a note with my name on it taped against the door. I grabbed it and rushed outside and hopped in Mal's bright red jeep.

My dearest daughter,

I wish I could have been home to see you off on your first day of senior year, but I got called in to the clinic for a puppy who had been hit by a car. I know you are looking fabulous and ready to take on the world. Just know I love you. Have a good day and stay safe. I heard new people recently moved into the area. Be nice but not too nice. And stay close to Mallory. She is good for you. Have a good last first day.

All my love, Mom

"What's that? Got a letter from a secret admirer you're not telling me about?" Mallory teased.

"No just a letter from my mom because she couldn't be home to see me off. She had to go in and save a puppy." I replied.

"Awww, that's so sweet. I think it's so neat that your mom is a veterinarian. And yet a little strange that she refuses to let you have a pet," she said with a soft chuckle. Then she turned and looked at me. "Hey, I'm sorry. You know I don't mean it in a malicious way when I say things like that."

"No, it's ok Mal. It's just that she is so overbearing sometimes you know? I wish she could be more easy going like your mom. I highly doubt Linda goes nuts just because you may wave to a stranger crossing the street. I mean seriously listen." I proceeded to read the note my mom had left for me and I could tell by the look on her face she agreed with me that my mom was a little too much most of the time.

"Ok, you're right, my mom wouldn't be so over the top like Victoria is. But, I mean you did say you were raised in L.A before coming here. Maybe she still worries because of everything that happened before you moved here. You know with your dad and all."

Mallory was always good at making me see things in a different light and once again she calmed my mind before we got to the school.

"You are right, Mal. I'm just over thinking things. Again. Now let's go have ourselves an amazing last first day!"

We both cheered as we pulled into the parking lot of Camden Hills Regional High School.