Chapter 21

As I headed to my cave, I debated on calling Eric now or waiting until I had a solid plan. What the heck I might as well get it over with and I have an excuse to keep our conversation short and sweet as I don't get reception in my cave. So, as I parked my car, I got out my phone and hit his name.

"Hey Perri! I wasn't expecting to hear from you again tonight. I thought you had your birthday dinner with your mom tonight. Is everything ok?"

"Not really Eric. Mom heard the ending of our conversation. She recognized your name right away and claimed she was suddenly sick and had to cancel."

"Oh, Perri, I'm sorry."

"It's ok. Anyway, I just called to tell you I need to cancel that dinner with your mom. I'm going to take care of a few things tomorrow then disappear for a while. I need to figure things out without my mom around. I just wanted you to know so if Colton calls, you have a heads up. I can't stay on the phone long though I'm almost to my cave."

"Perri wait! What do you mean you are going to disappear?"
"Bye Eric, I'll call you soon. I promise."

"Don't hang up Perri! Wait..."

I clicked the end call button and climbed into my cave for some much-needed thinking time. What was I going to do? Where would I go? I reached into my bag for my sketchpad, pulled it out and started to draw.

I was so into my drawing I almost didn't hear footsteps approaching.

"Golly Mal! I've only been out here about a half hour I haven't made any major choices yet. I haven't even had that long to think."

Suddenly coming around the corner into the entrance of the cave stood Eric.

"Well, you're definitely not Mal. What are you doing here Eric?"

"You can't just leave Perri! And since you wouldn't stay on the phone with my I ditched Colton and came here. Please explain to me this whole wonderful plan of yours to disappear. I don't get it Perri!"

"Eric, I haven't even come up with a solid plan yet. You see I was talking to Mal..."

As he sat down on the rock next to me, I explained what had happened and my whole conversation with Mallory. I finished talking and waited for him to say something.

He sighed loudly, looked at me and said, "I understand why you need to do this I just don't like you disappearing alone."

"I promise to keep all of you in the loop for where I am. OK?"

"I guess."

We sat in silence; he was watching the water, and I was drawing silently next to him. He looked over and watched as I drew.

"Do you still visit Little River? We used to go together several times a year."

"Little River? What's that?"

"The lighthouse, the one in your drawing. We used to go there growing up. It's only open to the public several months out of the year but our parents know the owners so we would go several times a year when we would have breaks."

"This lighthouse? Are you sure? I thought it was just a piece of my imagination."

"May I look at the rest of your drawings?"

"Sure, I guess."

I handed him my sketchbook and watched as he scanned through my pages.

"These are really good Perri. It's like you took our memories and drew them out onto paper."

"What do you mean?"

"Well like this one." He turned my sketchpad towards me and showed me my drawing of the three kids playing hide and seek. "We used to play hide and seek every summer when we would stay at Little River for the fourth of July. Colton hid in the same spot every time."

"And this one. You would help your mom plant the flowers. You always loved to do work in the garden. Even at your own home. It was one of your favorite things to do with your mom."

I carefully took my sketchpad out of his hands and looked again through my book. This time really trying to remember the things my mind wanted me to understand.

"Hey, I have an idea. If I promise to give you your own space and not tell anyone where we are would you go somewhere with me?"

"Eric, I can't have you leaving school and running away just because my brain needs time to think."

"I'm not worried about that. I can do school online for a few weeks or even a month if we need that long. I just have to make an appearance at Thanksgiving." He lightly laughed "My mom would have a fit if I didn't come home for holidays."

I sat and thought about it for a few minutes making a mental pros and cons list. Having Eric with me I wouldn't be alone. On the other hand, Eric was one of the people that I felt expected me to be somebody I didn't remember. But I didn't have a clue where to go and he seemed to have some sort of plan. I've only known Eric a few days, yet my heart was telling me to trust him. He was my missing piece. He could help me fill the rest of the holes from my past.

"OK. I'll go with you. I wanted to take off right away tomorrow, but I think I will finish off this week of work. That way I can get all the school stuff taken care of as well. Friday night my shift at the bakery is over at 5. We could still have dinner with your mom before we take off. Would that work for you?"

He seemed genuinely surprised that I said I would still have dinner with his mom before we go. I felt I owed him that much. He was willing to give up a few weeks to help me, I could do this one thing for him in return.

"Yes, that would work just fine. Thank you Perri."

"No thank you Eric. I haven't known you for more than a few days but something in me tells me you can help my memory with all the holes I have. And I appreciate you taking the time to help me do this."

"You're welcome Perri. And I'm happy I can help you. I haven't been able to do anything for you for 11 years. It feels good that you need me again. I've really missed you."

"Oh, come on. I'm sure some other little girl came in and stole your attention."

"Nope, nobody could take your place Chrissy."

We sat in silence for awhile Him once again probably remembering that little girl he once knew and me just trying to remember something.

"Alright, it's getting dark we better get going. We both have a long day ahead of us tomorrow. I'll try to get back here one day this week to go over a plan with you. Are you going to be ok going home tonight?"

"Ya, I'll be ok. If mom gets to be too out of hand, I'll just go stay at Mal's place for the night. Actually, I'll call her when I leave here and just stay with her anyway."

We headed back to the parking lot where he gave me a hug before getting gin his car and driving away. I climbed in my own car, got out my phone and called Mallory. Of course, she was fine with me coming to stay. I didn't even go home I went straight to her house. I messaged my mom telling her where I was going to be for the night turned off my phone and got ready for bed.