Chapter 4

As we headed to our table in the far corner of the cafeteria, I had that gut feeling again. This is going to be a long senior year if this keeps up. I don't want to end up as paranoid as my mom.

As we took our seat Mallory gasped. "Look who is approaching our table."

I turned around to see the new kid coming our way. His gaze steadily on me.

"Hi! My name is Colton Hendrix. I am a junior here. My family just moved here from Cutler. I wanted to apologize if it seems like I have been stalking you today. When you walked into the calculus room and passed by me you looked a tad bit familiar. But then I noticed your locket. So, forgive me for staring, it just reminds me of my older brother's best friend. She had a locket just like yours. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, but Saturday I was at my brother's dorm helping him unpack when I noticed the first picture, he unpacked was us together on her 5th birthday. And seeing your locket just shocked me. Its rare to see anyone wearing a locket these days." He laughed awkwardly before he continued. "Anyways again I apologize, I promise I'm not a crazy stalker. I'll leave you alone now."

"Hey, hold on." I said stopping him before he walked away. "I just wanted to say its fine. I understand. Lockets are more from the Victorian aera. Something we would normally see our grandmas wearing not some 17-year-old girl. My name is Perri, this crazy lady across from me is Mallory."

Mallory smiled and sent him a small wave as her mouth was already stuffed with her sandwich.

I giggled then continued. "Would you like to sit with us? I know how it feels to be the new kid. Miss Mallory over here saved me on my first day."

A smile spread across Colton's face "I would love to join you two beautiful ladies."

Mallory laughed "Oh boy you are one of them smooth talkers, aren't you? I'm afraid though we are too old for you. Also, I'm taken."

Colton just laughed. "Yea I know I'm too young for the two of you but maybe if I'm in with the older chicks the football team will be more open to accepting a new player. Also, it's a good conversation starter for when I call Eric later."

I turned to look at him. "Who is Eric? Is he a friend back home?"

"No Eric is my older brother. We are very close."

Mallory glanced at him with a smile. "Ok go ahead and tell whoever you want you are in with the older chicks. But don't forget our kindness when you become some big shot football player."

"Deal." He said, reaching out his hand for Mallory to shake.

"I like this one Perri. Maybe we should introduce him to Ashley and Leah. What do you think?"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Who are they?" Colton asked directing his question at me. I glanced at Mallory but replied "Ashley and Leah are the top cheerleaders in our school. They are also known to be the biggest gossip's here. But for the most part they are harmless and if you know them you have an automatic in for any, and all parties that will take place this year."

He looked like he was deep in thought before responding. "Do I have an in to any and all parties just hanging around the two of you?"

He looked so serious I hated to disappoint him, but Mal beat me to it.

As she was laughing uncontrollably, she managed to get out a few sentences. "Yes, if you are around us you have an in however it will be a miracle if you can get this girl to attend even one party. Even if it was a tea party."

I kicked her softly under the table "Hahaha very funny Mal. Just because I have my priorities straight doesn't mean maybe someday, I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a party. Just the idea of partying hasn't been top on my list."

She gave me that look. I knew that look. I was about to get myself into a situation I won't be able to get myself out of.

"Alright then party girl. I double dog dare you to come with me this year to a few parties. And in return I will spend that weekend you want me to go with you to visit Maine Media with you instead of working." She knew she had me. I had been begging her to go with me because it's the only way my mom would allow me to go.

"Deal" I said. As I shook her hand a small feeling of dread slowly consumed me. But who knows, maybe this year will be different.