Chapter 16

We arrived at the boy's house around noon, unloaded our bags, then headed the few blocks to Maine Media. As soon as we parked, the boys pointed out the different buildings to us. Mallory, Jayden, and Colton headed for the film center while Eric and I went to the Ernst Haas Center. I wanted to see the library and then go around to the book arts and alt pro studios. There was just so much to see. Tomorrow we were going to get tours of the on-campus dorms. Mallory and I haven't decided if we wanted our own dorm rooms just to say we experienced living on campus or if we wanted to be like the boys and live off campus in an apartment or duplex.

We met back up in the parking lot around five. None of us had realized how fast time was flying by. We decided to try out the Tomi sushi and noodle bar for dinner. It was amazing! I loved the Pad See Ew! On our way back to their place we stopped at Maritime Farms convenience store to grab some snacks and drinks for our movie night.

We were in such a hurry earlier we didn't really have a chance to look around their place. It was a cute white, two-story house. When we walked into the house we were standing in an entryway. Turning to the left was a dining room connected with the kitchen. To the right was a nice sized living room which had a couch and a love seat. A large tv (must have been at least 75 inches) hung on the wall above a fireplace, on the opposite wall from the couches. A beautiful black coffee table sat in the middle of the room on top of a white and blue swirled area rug. A hallway separated the kitchen and living room. Going down the hallway there were two bedrooms and a full bathroom. All the floors were dark cherry wood. To the side was a spiral staircase. At the top of the staircase was a loft that overlooked the living room on the opposite side from the stairs. They had the loft set up as a game room with a bunch of different bean bag chairs scattered all around. There were two 45-inch TVs up here as well.

"I found where I'm sleeping tonight! Perri, go get your things, we will set up our air mattresses up here tonight. Colton, you get the couch!" Mallory was on a roll, put that girl in the same room with a PS4 (she doesn't like the PS5's. She always says why change something when the old one will always be better) and she was good to go. Although knowing Mallory she most likely brought her own system. I know I did!

"That's fine with me Mallory. I'll hook up my system downstairs and after the movie we can play a round of Fortnite. What about the rest of you? Want to join?" Colton was all excited about this. He loved playing Fortnite with us on the weekends.

"Sure! I'm in!" Jayden said.

"Me too. What about you Perri?" Eric asked.

"Ummm, I didn't bring my system with me for nothing. Of course, I'm gonna play." I loved playing with Mal and Colton. We have played a few times with the boys before when Colton invited them to join our games, but this would be the first time the five of us all played under the same roof.

"Well then let's get our stuff.... No scratch that we will set up our systems and stuff later first let's celebrate you, my bestie!!" Mal came and gave me a hug and drug me back towards the stairs.

When we got back to the living room, we set up our snacks and drinks on the coffee table. Mallory, Jayden, and Colton took the couch leaving Eric and I the love seat. Eric had the remote and turned on the tv clicking on the Disney+ icon. Soon we were all engrossed in the world of make-believe and fairies, taking us back to our childhood. For me it was memories with my mom and then Mallory. For the boys I could tell they still grieved their lost friend. I wondered who she was? Colton had said there was a photo of her here someplace. It was probably in Eric's room somewhere.

When the movie ended, we all chipped in and cleaned up our mess from the snacks. I grabbed my bags and headed up the stairs. The rest of them were still in the kitchen but I had wanted to blow up my mattress and get things ready for our game.

I had just pushed my mattress to the far side of the wall when I heard Mallory and the guys coming up the stairs. The sounds of their voices echoed throughout the loft as they all sang "Happy Birthday." Mallory appeared in the room first holding the cake with 18 candles lit up, the boys right behind.

I got a little teary, I had forgotten all about the cake. I loved these guys for doing this for me. It was just a bittersweet moment as this was the first birthday I've had without my mom. But, I promised myself I was not going to dwell on the things I could not change and leaned forward and blew out my candles. I missed one.

"Oh, girl! You know what they say. You got one boyfriend. At least it's not like last year when you had five candles remaining. Now 'fess up who is?" Mallory could go on like this forever. She did not let me live it down for several months after my last birthday. They boys were laughing behind her. Jayden knew how she was about not blown out candles. He had been a victim of her one candle left lecture a time or two himself.

"Miss Mal, you out of everyone should know who he is. I can't believe you forgot." I replied in my most sincere voice. Acting as if she had truly hurt my feelings by forgetting something so important.

This got all of them to stop. The boys looked from me to Mal then back again.

"Perri West!! You told me no such thing and you know it! Now spill, who is he? Wait, you can't possibly be seeing anyone without me knowing we are always together. You barely even message anyone when we are together. Nice try girlfriend."

This time I was laughing. "Man, you should have seen all your faces. That was priceless!!"

"Girl! Don't scare me like that. For a minute I legit thought I forgot. Now let's get my mattress set up and we can have some cake while we play."

"Sounds good to me. Hey Eric! Do you and Jayden want to take your systems to your rooms so Mal and I can hook up ours up here?"

"Sure can, Jay grab yours. And don't forget your headset, we don't need you yelling three rooms away cause you forgot them."

"Yea Jay, we don't want a repeat of last time," Colton said.

They grabbed all their stuff and headed downstairs. Colton went with them so he could get set up in the living room.

We played several rounds of Fortnite then decided to get some sleep. We had to be back on campus tomorrow for our tour of the dorms. I couldn't wait! I'm still unsure though if I actually want my own space or if I'd rather share a place with Mal. I guess we will see tomorrow, if she chooses to live on campus I will to. But, being here like this, I like it being our space. And we won't have to share a dining room with a bunch of other students.

I closed my eyes and dreamt of a lighthouse surrounded by water and two little boys who ran around with me as we played tag. We ate hotdogs and chips outside in the grass and pretended we were stranded on an island. Somewhere behind me I heard a woman calling "Christine, time to come in. Boys you too."

I sat straight up in bed looking around taking in my surroundings. I remembered where I was and calmed down. That didn't feel like no dream I've ever had before. That felt like a memory playing for me to see. Who is this, Christine? This is the second time I've heard her name. I needed to get some answers and I needed them soon before I drove myself crazy. I held onto my locket for comfort and fell back asleep.  

Who is Perri West?जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें