Chapter 22

The week seemed to fly by. I talked to Mallory about leaving with Eric and she seemed happy I wasn't going alone. Of course, we both wish she could have come too, but she wanted to finish high school and I agreed with her that she should stay. I was content with getting my GED. I was still going to go to college in fact if I got my mind in a better place, I may even apply to start at Maine Media for the next semester in January. But right now, I needed to finish these tests and get ready for my adventure.

It was already Thursday, and we were planning on taking off as soon as we finished dinner with his mom tomorrow evening. As I sat at the table at the back of the bakery I tried to concentrate on the test. I knew this stuff it wasn't even difficult I just had so much on my mind.

"Hey little one, how's it coming?"

I looked up into Linda's warm eyes. "Oh, it's going alright mama St Clair. Its not that its hard I just can't seem to concentrate."

"How about I make you a white chocolate caramel cappuccino and you head back to my office where there aren't so many distractions and try finishing back there?"

I smiled at her grateful that she was always there to help me out. Even this small gesture of kindness meant the world to me.

"Thank you, I will take you up on that offer."

"Ok, I'll meet you back there in just a moment with your drink."

I got my laptop and things together and headed into the back. I settled down behind her desk and got ready to get to work. I noticed all the photos on her desk. One of my favorite's was taken when Mallory and I were about 14 years old. We had just gotten hired at the bakery and it was our first job. We were so excited, Linda even made us a congratulations on your first job cake. In this photo Mallory and I were both holding a side of the cake smiling big at Linda as she took the photo.

"Here you go Hun, now get to work, and ace those tests. Mallory didn't tell me much but, I know you are doing this without talking to your mom first. Don't worry you're a big girl now but you should talk to her before you take off."

I took a deep breath and decided I would let Linda in on my secret. She had always been a second mom to me, and I knew once I left Mallory would need someone besides just Jayden to talk to.

"Do you have a minute mama St. Clair?"

"I do. I hired Beth on Wednesday after you told me you were leaving. She's out there now and should be able to hold down the fort for a few minutes."

As she sat, I laughed lightly. "Well, I will try to make this story short and to the point but it's not that easy to explain and I need you to promise first that this doesn't leave this room until I'm ready to let it out. Please?"

"Ok this sounds serious. Are you ok? You're not sick or something are you Hun?"

"No nothing like that. Well here goes..."

I hadn't planned on telling her everything but as we sat there talking to her was as easy as talking to Mallory and I ended up telling her everything. From the time Colton showed up at school up until now. I even told her about my dinner plans with Colton and Erics mom. And how I wasn't leaving alone but Eric was going with me.

"Wow! I don't know what to say. I always thought Victoria was a little over cautious with you growing up but now I understand why. She didn't want anyone to recognize you or have you talking to much about growing up. By not allowing you to talk that's probably why you started to forget. Oh, baby girl I am so sorry you had to go through all this. I hope you go on this journey and find your peace. And hopefully you will be able to find the memories of your past. I'll keep my daughter busy, so she doesn't dwell too much on the fact that you are gone. You just focus on you and if you need anything you call me. Ok?"