Chapter 8

I rolled out of bed and turned my alarm clock off as I stumbled into the shower. As I came out of the bathroom, I noticed a small glittering box laying on top of my desk with a card. I held the towel tighter around me as I approached the desk. Picking up the card I opened it up. On the cover was a black and white pug wearing a party hat. I giggled as I opened it up to read the message inside.

Happy Birthday!

I hope you have a wonderful 18th birthday darling! I am so sorry once again I have been called to the clinic. I have been called a few towns over for an emergency horse situation so I will not be home to see you off in the morning or to do our yearly birthday dinner out. I promise to make it up to you! As soon as you come home on Monday afternoon, we will spend some time together and do our dinner then. I promise!

Happy Birthday Darling!

All my love,

Mom

I reread the letter several times feeling a small amount of abandonment. Mom had never missed a birthday. She stressed every year how I was more important to her than any job. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing. A small break from each other might just be what we needed. Things have still been strained between us ever since the incident with Colton. Oh well I don't have time to dwell on it now. I had to get ready for school.

I dressed in my favorite white sundress adorned with my brown belt around the waist. I slipped into my favorite brown sandals, and I turned to grab my jean jacket from the back of my desk chair. As I picked it up, I noticed I hadn't even opened my gift from my mom. I debated on opening it now or waiting until she comes home. I give in and carefully start unwrapping it. Key's? Why would my mom give me a set of keys unless......

I flew down the stairs and swung open the front door. Sitting in the driveway was the cutest black 1996 Chevy Camero, T-tops and all. I opened the driver's door and saw a big red bow on the steering wheel. This was the car I had been talking to Mallory about all week. Mom must have talked to her and had her help when she picked it out. I had been searching online for some time to find the right thing and when I saw this one, I fell in love. I wonder when she snuck away to Mid-Knight Auto over in Rockland to get it.

I quickly grabbed my phone from my pocket and called to thank her. However, I only got her voicemail. After leaving a message thanking her for my amazing birthday gift I hung up. I quickly ran back inside, grabbed my backpack, and locked up the house.

I messaged Mallory that I wouldn't be needing a ride to school anymore and she replied with several winking emoji. Telling me that maybe Tuesday I could give her a ride to school. I agreed.

As I stepped out of my car into the school parking lot, I heard a high-pitched squeal behind me.

"Oh, my, goodness! Perri! It's amazing. I'm so glad she took my advice and got you this one. She was starting to lean towards the red Mustang, but I talked her out of it. I knew how much you had your heart set on this one. So... Were you surprised?" Mallory's excitement was contagious.

"Yes, I was surprised. I honestly never thought my mom out of all people would buy ME, her daughter, whom she protects with every fiber in her body, a car! Which would give me the opportunity to go out into the world and possibly run into strangers, a car! I LOVE IT!! I tried calling her because she wasn't home when I woke up this morning, but she didn't answer so I left her a message." I was happy but a little down because I couldn't tell my mom thanks.

Mallory gave me a hug as we walked into the school. "Are things getting any better between the two of you?"

"Yes and no. I mostly avoid any topic that could potentially involve Colton and she doesn't ask. But otherwise, things are pretty much back to our normal routine. Her getting me a car is a big thing." I couldn't help feeling a little depressed.

"Ok no more pouty face! Time to cheer up girl! I mean come on you are going to your first ever party tonight then in the morning we are off to college!" Mal exclaimed as she danced down the halls.

I couldn't help but giggle. "It's just a visit, Mal, don't get too excited yet. We still haven't found out if we will be accepted yet or not."

"Oh, dear Perri, you worry too much. Now, you off to calculus and I'm off to Spanish. See you in English. Oh yea, and I voted you lost, we take your car for the weekend." Mallory waved as we both went our own ways.

All around us everyone was chattering excitedly with anticipation for tonight's game. I can honestly say I think this is the first game I have ever been excited to attend. The after party on the other hand I wasn't so thrilled about. I made a deal with Mal though so I couldn't back out now. I waved to Colton as I took my seat. I'll have to worry about the party later right now I was crossing my fingers for Colton hoping he had passed his test so he could play in tonight's game.

Mr. Matthews started making his rounds placing everyone's tests upside down on our desks. I've always had pretty good grades but for some reason tests still gave by belly butterflies. I took a deep breath and just as I was about to flip my page over a loud yell startled me from behind.

"Yahoo! Yes, Yes, Yes! Thank you so much Perri I couldn't have done this without you!" Colton exclaimed as he was bouncing up and down in my direction. Before I could comprehend what was happening, he grabbed me up out of my seat wrapping me in a hug.

"Thank you Perri." He said more quietly in my ear as he showed me his paper with a big red A at the top.

"Anytime little man." I responded. His laughter followed him back to his seat.

I liked to put the little in there even though hewas a good 5 inches taller than my 5'2 frame. I couldn't wait to see him play inthe game tonight. I hadn't had the opportunity to watch any of the games so farthis year due to work. However, Linda gave Mallory and I both the weekend offto watch the game then take off for Maine Media till Monday afternoon. We hadpromised both our moms we would be responsible at the party tonight. We didhave an early drive first thing in the morning.