Chapter 6:

I called Sarah.

"Hey! I heard what happened, I am so sorry I couldn't be there. Damon has had me running the borders all day."

"It's okay, I understand. I know you're busy but is there anyway you can stay with me tonight? Me and Damon just had a fight and I really need someone to talk to. It's okay if you are too busy." I really just needed my best friend. We haven't hung out much since things started getting crazy. She was always busy or away speaking with other packs to see if they had anyone crossing their borders, to which there was no news.

"Absolutely! I'll have someone else run the borders for me tonight. Give me 15 minutes and I will be there!" she said before hanging up.

When she arrived, she had on pajamas, and her hands were full of snacks, and wine. She gave me her biggest smile as she walked over to the bed, dumping everything. I laughed, closed the door behind her and flopped down on the bed with her.

"Girls Night!" she screamed as she jumped up and headed for the tv remote on the dresser.

"Just what I need. So, what's the plan?" I asked, excited to finally have some much needed fun.

"Duh, movies, wine, lots of fat stuff, and girl talk. We really should make this a weekly thing." She said putting HBO Max on the tv while I poured us some wine.

"I agree! We don't do this enough and with everything going on, we both could use it. How are things at the border by the way?"

"We have had a couple breaches but haven't been able to track anyone down. Whoever is doing it, knows our routine, what time we switch off and so on. I told Damon we need to switch up our times, and the areas we have guards set. They must be coming through the 3 minutes no one is there during the switch off, that or someone is sleeping on the job. Regardless, things need to be changed so they are not so predictable." She said throwing a piece of popcorn into the air and catching it in her mouth.

"Yeah, staying on the same rotation makes it easier to remember it. Hopefully changing it will help. I just wish I knew who it was and what they wanted." I said taking a sip of my wine, when in reality I could've used the entire bottle after the week I have had.

"But anyways, how are you and Damon? Other than the fight you had, are thing's getting any better between you guys?"

"No, if anything they are getting worse. I don't know what's going through his head. He keeps me closed off from his thoughts and feelings. It's like he's not even there." I said throwing back my wine glass and chugging it.

"You want me to kick his ass? I will do it, maybe that is exactly what he needs."

"No, there will be no ass kicking unless I am doing it." I replied while laughing. As much as I wanted to strangle the life out of him for the way he was acting, it wouldn't fix anything between us. We just needed time.

She shrugged her shoulders and started scrolling through the movies, we settled on a horror movie, as if my life didn't have enough horror in it already. Once the movie was over, Sarah went downstairs to grab another bottle of wine, since the one she brought was now empty. I was feeling a little lightheaded, so I went to the bathroom and turned on the sink. I closed my eyes to splash water on my face, when something struck me in the side of the heads, making everything go dark.