Chapter 2:

The festivities carry on until late in the night. Its after two in the morning before things settle down and everyone makes their way back to their houses. While Damon is having a meeting with his pack guards, I head upstairs for take a shower. When I get out, Damon still hasn't come up which makes me worry. He should've been up by now. Grabbing my red silk robe, i put it on tying it around my waist and head downstairs to look for my mate. I open the front door and head outside to see if I can track him down. When I'm out in the courtyard, my senses go on high alert, the hair on my arm standing straight up. I spin around looking behind me, sensing danger but not knowing where its coming from. From the corner of my eye, I see something over on the ground about ten feet away from me. Walking over slowly I scream once I am close enough to see what it is. There lying on the ground is one of the guards, covered in blood, his throat ripped out.

Damon comes running across the field to me and pulls me to him, hiding my face in his chest. He immediately starts yelling commands to his guards.

"I need you to go with Aaron. He's one of my highest ranked guards, he will protect you while I exam the body and figure out what happened." Damon says softly to me, using his body to shield me from the body lying on the ground.

"No, don't leave me." I say crying, not because I am scared but because I can feel the loss of a pack mate. A father, a son, a friend.

"You have to go; I need you safe. I will come for you as soon as I am done here. I love you, now go." He says in a stern voice.

Aaron leads me away from my mate and inside the house. Once inside he takes me upstairs to my room, where he checks the room before letting me go inside.

"It's clear inside. I will stand out here by the door and keep watch Luna. You will be safe I promise." He says as he leads me inside.

"What was his name?" I ask him before he gets the chance to walk out.

"Charles. His name was Charles, Luna. He was a great man, strong and brave. He just got promoted to guard last month after his wife had their 1st child." He says sadly with his head bowed.

"He will not be forgotten. His death will not go unpunished. We will find the one responsible for this and make them pay. As for his wife and child, I want them moved to the spare bedroom where I can watch over them. A husband and father were lost tonight. I don't want them alone." I say with my head held high, even though inside I am screaming. I must be strong for them. It is my duty as their Luna.

"Yes Luna. Thank you, his family will appreciate that." He says before bowing his head and heading out the door to stand guard.

Once the door is closed behind him, I throw myself on the bed and cry for the wife who lost her husband, and the child who will grow up without a father. My sadness soon becomes rage as I think about how he was taken. Who could have done this? Why would someone do this? As I get lost in my thoughts, Damon comes walking into the room and heads straight for the bathroom. I hear the shower turn on and decide to go after him. I walk in to see him standing in the shower with his clothes on, steam filling the bathroom and the blood is rinsed from his clothes and down the drain. His head is rest against the wall with his hands above him. I walk in behind him, wrap my arms around his waist and hug him. I can feel his pain through our bond, and it was breaking me. We stand there like that until the water gets cold. He turns the water off and turns to me, the sadness and anger setting his eyes ablaze.

"Did you find anything?" I ask softly as I pull his wet clothes off him.

"Yes and no. Theres no tracks but there is a scent of rogue. His throat was slit with something silver. He never stood a chance. Whoever did it, picked the perfect time. Everyone was so busy with festivities that no one was watching the borders, no one was expecting an attack. It's my fault, I should have been more prepared. I should've been ready. Because of my carelessness a man died tonight, a mother lost her son, a wife her husband and a child his father."

"Stop, its not your fault. You couldn't have known, none of us did. This isn't your fault, the only one to blame is the person who attacked him." I said, angry that he would even think about blaming himself for something that was beyond his control.

I finished removing his shirt and started unzipping his pants when he stopped me and pushed me up against the wall. Pushing his body roughly against mine, his mouth consumed mine, his tongue massaging mine. I moaned into his mouth, making him grab me by my ass, lift me up and wrap my legs around him. He pulled the tie on my robe letting it fall open and expose my naked body. Taking my nipple into his mouth, he let his pants drop to the shower floor, letting his huge cock spring free. Taking his lips from my breast, across my collarbone and up my neck, he pushed himself into me, sinking in as deep as he could go and making me gasp as he hit my cervix. Starting off in a slow steady rhythm he moved in and out of me, kissing and sucking on my neck as he did, before picking up speed and slamming into me. I gripped his back with my nails, screaming his name as he pumped into me harder, making me cum so hard I seen stars. He slammed into me 3 more times for finding his own release and filling me with his cum, growling deeply in my ear as he did. Both of us breathless, he slid me down the wall into a standing position, grabbed a warm wash cloth and proceeded to clean me and then himself.

"I love you so much Sunshine. I am so sorry you had to see any of it." He said before kissing me and leaving the room.

I stood there shocked, unsure of how to feel about the fact that he just fucked my brains out then left. I finished cleaning off and headed into the bedroom to find some clothes. I settled on one of his t-shirts and climbed into bed. I didn't bother going after him again, the first time did me no good and the second time left me sexually satisfied but confused and alone. I awoke to Damon walking in the room headed straight for the bathroom. I turned to the clock where it read three in the morning, rolling over I fixed my pillow and went back to sleep. When I woke up again it was 8, so I decided to go ahead and get up. Damon wasn't in bed, so I assumed he never came to bed last night. Heading into the bathroom I flipped on the light and screamed when I saw 'You're Next' written in blood on the mirror.

Aaron the guard came running into the room and froze when he saw what I was looking at. His face got serious and not even 5 minutes later Damon walked in. I stood there for what seemed like forever, unable to look away. I just kept reading it over and over again. Before Damon grabbed me and pulled me out of the room and took me to the living room to sit on the couch. I sat there frozen, unable to comprehend what was going on around me. Whose blood was that on the mirror? Did they mean I was next or Damon? How did they get in my room without me knowing? Eventually I snapped out of it at the sound of Sarah's voice.

"Are you okay? What happened?" she said with worry laced in her voice.

"I... someone came into the room last night while I was sleeping. They left a message in blood." I said clearly shaken by what I had read.

"What?! How did that happen? Where was Damon?" she asked looking around the room.

"I don't know. He didn't come to bed last night; I only saw him for a few seconds before they brought me down here." I said still halfway zoned out, and thinking about when someone could've come in. the only person I seen come in last night was Damon.

"What do you mean he didn't come to bed? He left you in there by yourself after what happened yesterday?! I'm going to kick his ass!" she yelled before storming off upstairs.

I stayed there, listening to the screaming going on upstairs as Sarah proceeded to rip Damon's ass for leaving me last night. I could only pick up on bits and pieces of the conversation, but I knew they were arguing about the situation. About 15 minutes later Sarah came back downstairs, still pissed off.

"Come on, lets get you something to eat and drink." She said as she grabbed by hand and led me to the kitchen, where I sat down at the counter while she brought me food.

"I don't understand how this could have happened. I thought Aaron was guarding the door." I said looking at Sarah with wide eyes.

"He was until Damon got back. When he came up and got in the shower, Aaron went to check the border. He didn't know Damon had left after or he would've stayed and guarded the door. This is Damon's fault! He should've been there for you, instead of getting drunk in his study." She said through clenched teeth.

So that's where he was last night. He stayed in his study drinking instead of coming to bed with me. Maybe I should've followed him. At least then I wouldn't have been in there when whoever came in.