Parting Words (Written Journey Part 2) j.j/m.g

word count: 1,042

✼✼✼

It's been a week since the lever was pulled at Mount Weather.

Clarke's gone, Bellamy's a mess, Octavia's angry, and Jasper's lashing out.

Whether it's because of Maya or your current state, no one is quite sure. Probably both.

You're barely hanging onto life. Your chances are slim, but the fact that you're still breathing is a miracle in of itself.

Monty hasn't left your side since you got back, sitting by your bedside. He usually doesn't say or do anything, but sometimes he'll read to you because he knows you love being read to. He thinks that maybe if he finds the right story, you'll get better.

He has yet to find the right story.

"Monty, you need rest," Abby says as she walks into the tent. Monty shrugs silently, eliciting a sigh from Abby. "Even Bellamy and Octavia are resting."

"You threatened to not let them back in to see her if they didn't," Monty replies.

"Don't make me do the same to you."

"You can't. I haven't left the tent."

"That's the problem, Monty. What good are you gonna do her if you're exhausted?" Abby asks as she checks you over. Monty watches Abby for any sign— good or bad. But Abby knows he's watching, so she's careful to keep her expression neutral. She hums, stepping back from your pale form.

"Well?"

"She hasn't changed, which is good news and bad news." Monty sighs, hanging onto the fact that it's good news. "Please, Monty, go rest."

"What if she wakes up and I'm not here? What if something happens and I'm sleeping across camp and I can't get here in time? What if--"

"I will get you if she breathes wrong," Abby interrupts. "But only if you rest." Monty, recognizing that yes, he does need rest, stands. He looks down at you once more, squeezes your hand, and then leaves the tent to walk toward his room inside the Ark.

"Monty!" Monty closes his eyes briefly before turning around. Jasper walks up to him, clearly not in the right state of mind. "You seen (Y/N)?"

"She's still the same," Monty deadpans. "You'd know if you visited."

"Don't start," Jasper complains.