Hatred

word count: 969

Human Trials (2x05)

*:ꔫ:*

For what seems like months after the plan to barbecue the Grounders hell-bent on wiping you out, you've been living with a peaceful grounder family at a camp they have set up around fifteen miles from the dropship. You try to push the pain away, telling yourself that Clarke, Bellamy, Finn, Monty, and Jasper are still alive. Somewhere, somehow, they're safe.

But as each day passes, your confidence in them wavers.

To take you mind off of it, you sit outside by the gardens, braiding a little girl's hair.

"Laik yu odon?" she asks. You laugh and finish off the braid.

"Yes, I'm done. Now, go play." You usher her off to her friends, smiling as she waves. You wave back and stand.

"How are you feeling today, (Y/N) kom Skaikru?" Artigas asks you, coming to your side.

"As well as I can be, I suppose. How are you?" He shrugs.

"Better than yesterday, thanks to you." You smile at him, automatically glancing at the wrap on his arm.

"Next time, when trying to impress a girl, don't hurt yourself while doing it," you tease. He blushes and smiles sheepishly.

"Then how will I earn the pleasure of your company?" You ruffle his hair.

"By asking." He nods once and wanders off to find Nyko. You smooth down your hair, frustrated when it doesn't stay down.

"Would you like me to braid it?" Nyko's sister, Kelley, asks. You nod, smiling softly.

"If you would, that would be great." She sits you on a stump and gets to work.

"Do you think your friends are still alive?" Kelley asks quietly. You sigh, closing your eyes to stop the tears.

"I have to believe they are or I'll lose my mind." You feel her nod, your braid already halfway done.

"And Finn? Your boyfriend?" she asks. Your heart screams with longing as you think of his carefree attitude, his smile, his cheesy jokes.

"He's strong. He's okay. I know he is." She steps back and you reach behind you to stroke your braid. "Thank you." She smiles and gives you a nod before walking off to find her son. You look around for the kids so you can teach them how to play truth or dare, but an ear-piercing scream shakes you to the bone. You take off toward the scream before being pulled into a hut by Nyko. He puts a finger to his lips, signaling you to be quiet.

"Stay," he whispers before promptly leaving the hut. You peek out from the door and watch in horror as two people with guns gather the villagers into a pen, like livestock. Before you can blink, one of the pulls the trigger, killing Korla. You manage to hold back your scream, but barely. The people start to scream in horror, Nyko trying to hold back Artigas from attacking what has to be some of the 100.

At that realization, you step out of the hut quietly. Before you can call out, telling them to stop, bullets start to fly. You scream as you watch Artigas fall to the ground.

Dead.

You run toward the chaos to protect the kids but before you can reach them, you feel a sharp pain in your side. You stumble to a stop and fall to your knees.

"(Y/N)!" Nyko shouts, trying to get through the crowd. The sound of the gunfire ceases immediately. You lie there, gasping for breath, knowing that you're not going to make it. Though the pain in your side hurts like a bitch, it pales in comparison to the fact that you'll never know if your friends are okay.

If Finn is okay.

"(Y/N)," a voice says, skidding in the mud next to you. You know that voice. You look to your left and almost cry in relief.

"Finn," you gasp, blood leaking from your mouth. He moves your head to his lap and presses his hands to your wound to stop the bleeding. "Who did this?" He pales, his body racking with sobs.

"I did. I- I saw one of them with your ring and I--" Your cries of anguish cut him off.

Finn. The sweetest, most fun-loving man you've ever known. The man who strove for peace and couldn't hurt a fly, let alone massacre a village full of innocents, has done this.

This isn't your Finn.

"Please, don't cry. Save your strength. Clarke—Clarke is here."

Clarke comes into view and checks over your wound.

"It's okay, (Y/N). Shh, it's okay," Clarke soothes. But by the tears in her eyes, you both know it's not going to be okay. "I'm so sorry." You grasp her hand as hard as you can in reassurance.

It's not your fault, your eyes say. She stands, barely holding back a sob, and walks away to see if she can help anyone.

"I'm so sorry," Finn sobs, his face full of guilt and self-loathing. You push away your hatred for what he's done and cup his cheek with your hand.

"Shh, Finn. It's okay." He shakes his head repeatedly.

"I did this to find you and in the end I—" he breaks off, unable to say the words.

And in the end, I killed you.

"Just promise me something," you whisper as you feel the last of your strength pour into your words. His pain-filled eyes look into yours.

"Anything."

"Survive." He chokes out a sob and nods.

"I love you."

"I love you, too." You look up at the trees, soaking in every color before your world turns black.

*:ꔫ:*

And the walls kept tumbling down

In the city that we love

Grey clouds roll over the hills

Bringing darkness from above

— Pompeii by Bastille —