Waterbug

word count: 1,405

«※»

(Y/N)

"So, what you're saying is, you're going to jump into the lake, even though you can't swim?" Murphy asks you.

"Yep."

"Why the hell would you do that?"

"Because you told me I couldn't," you justify. Murphy groans and sits down on the rock.

"Whatever. Do it. See if I care." Your smile falters a little. You've had a crush on Murphy since you were kids, unbeknownst to him, so for him to insinuate that he doesn't care if you drown kinda hurts. You shrug it off, taking off your shirt and pants, leaving you only in your undergarments. You feel the heat of Murphy's stare, but you ignore it. He's just a horny teenager. You dip your toes in the water and shiver. Without another word from either of you, you wade in.

Soon, the water is up to your waist. You close your eyes and revel in the coolness of the water on your skin, contrasting to the burning heat of the sun. You duck your head under, getting your hair wet. You smile, feeling a small amount of peace for the first time since you landed on Earth. You wade a little deeper until the water is up to your shoulders. Despite your declaration that you're going to go deep enough to where you have to swim, you're not really going to. Just because you were sent down here to die doesn't mean you actually plan on it.

"Are you swimming?" Murphy calls from the shore.

"Oh, totally," you call back. He snickers, sharpening a stick to a point. "Even in a moment of relaxation, you're still making weapons."

"Grounders don't care about us relaxing," Murphy deadpans. You groan.

"Thank you, Mr. Gloomy."

"What was that?" he calls. You chuckle to yourself, stepping backwards, further into the lake against your better judgement.

"I said—" you're cut off when your foot slips off a sudden drop. Your head slips under the surface, despite you trying to pump your way back to the surface to breathe. You flail, hoping to get back up without Murphy having to risk his life.

If he even cares.

Despite your efforts, you sink deeper. Your lungs burn with lack of oxygen, darkness teasing at the edge of your vision. Soon, water replaces the air in your lungs.

Everything grows dark as the life leaves your body.

«※»

Murphy

"I said—" I roll my eyes when she cuts herself off. I continue to sharpen my stick in silence.

Silence.