If I Could Choose

word count: 1,450

Modern AU: Musician!Reader

° • .  ♚  . • °

You stare out into the crowd, your fans cheering and screaming. You smile, grateful every day for the chance to live your dream. Sure, there's hate and a lot of bad that comes with being a musician, but the good outweighs the bad in a rare occasion.

"So, I have a surprise for you," you shout, grinning. The lights go up briefly as the arena erupts into applause. You walk over to the piano that's rising out from under the stage. The crowd cheers again as you sit down, fixing the mic so you can play and sing.

"This is a little song I wrote about a guy who broke my heart. I won't waste time explaining, the song speaks for itself." You swallow thickly, your heart beating erratically.

You know he's in the crowd. Bellamy Blake. He's in the crowd with his new girlfriend and her daughter.

You place your fingers over the keys and take a deep breath as the lights dim and a soft, blue light shines on the stage. You start the soft, dismal intro, each stroke of the key breaking your heart all over again.

Your brown eyes, your gorgeous smile drew me in and locked me down. I knew I was doomed, but I didn't care.

Your voice echoing through the arena. You close your eyes and let your music take you away.

I closed my eyes and strolled right by the flashing neon warning signs. If I had listened to mind instead of following my heart, maybe it wouldn't be broken.

You barely save yourself from a voice crack, the lyrics hurting you as strongly as they did on the day you wrote them.

If I could go back, I'd ignore your smiling face. If I knew what I do now, I'd run the other way. If I could fix my worst mistake, I wouldn't give my all to you. If I could choose, I wouldn't fall in love with you.

The piano continues in it's mournful accompaniment. Phone lights sway in the crowd when you glance, smiling softly at the fans. A few quiet cheers sound from the crowd.

The roses turned from red to black, and turned to dust right in my hands, I've never felt so lost. I think knew you'd ruin me, but I was so desperate to be loved that I ignored the pain.

You repeat the chorus, ignoring the pain building up in your throat. Your heart pounds in your chest. If Bellamy does know this song is about him, he'll know this next part is about Gina.

You continue singing, needing to get everything off your chest.

I pray the next girl leaves faster than I could. I hope she realizes that you're a lying prick and you can't be saved.