number forty-three

Ariel Jiménez

I lied on my stomach on the couch, watching as Quinn and Dionne competed against each other in WII tennis. My legs were in Blaise's lap and he was doing something on his phone.

We were all at Dionne's house after our work shifts. After yesterday with Nathaniel, I got the courage to tell my friends everything. Everything. I didn't tell Nathaniel about the hitting cause I was worried he'd call the police. But I knew my friends would want to take it into their own hands.

Once the match ended (Dionne won) I sat up and asked for their attention. We all moved to sitting on the floor in a circle. My back was against the couch, Quinn was in front of me, Dionne was on my left, and Blaise was on my right.

"I'm going to tell you guys something and you have to promise to not interrupt me until I'm finished and you cannot respond violently."

"Promise," Quinn smiled.

"I'll do my best," Dionne eyed me suspiciously.

"I can't promise that," Blaise denied.

"You either promise or wait in Dionne's room," I scowled.

Blaise crossed his arms and mumbled his promise and then I started.

From the choking to the cut up crew neck to the yelling matches. Quinn grew more and more concerned, Dionne grew more and more fidgety, and Blaise grew more and more pissed.

"Ariel," Quinn was the first to say.

She rushed forward and gave me a tight hug. Dionne followed quickly after and they just held me and rocked me. I hugged them back.

Once they pulled away Blaise groaned loudly.

"I helped you cover those fucking bruises, Ariel. You told me—"

"I know what I told you, B. I was scared, okay?"

He looked at me and the anger in his eyes simmered down to just regret. He leaned over and hugged me with one of the loudest exhales I've ever heard.

We all sat in silence for a while before my phone started ringing.

"If it's him, don't fucking pick it up," Dionne hissed.

I hummed as I grabbed my phone. "It's Eric."

"Does he know?" Quinn asked.

I nodded as I answered the phone and got up to go to Dionne's room.

"Mellizo. ¿Dónde estás?"

"I'm at D's house."

"Oh. You're okay then? He hasn't hurt you, has he?"

"No, Gemello. I'm okay."

Eric sighed. "What're you doing at Dionne's house?"

"Oh. I, uh, I told them everything."

"¿Todo?"

"Sí."

"Wow. How'd Blaise take it?"

"Better than I expected, actually."

Eric hummed and sighed.

"Okay. I'll leave you to be with your friends. Call me if anything, and I mean anything, happens."

I smiled to myself. "Okay, man."

"Bueno. Adiós."

"Adiós."

Eric Jiménez

"¿Con quién hablabas?" (Who were you talking to?)