number thirty-one

Ariel Jiménez

"I'm thinkin'... amusement park."

Alex sighed on the other line.

"Babe, no. For the last time. I don't wanna do something that involves children and bodily fluids or chunks for that matter."

"You're no fun! Ugh!"

I turned the corner and my family home came into view.

"What about…"

"Mhm?"

"Archery."

"I don't trust you with a bow and arrow."

"I don't trust you with a bow and arrow," I mumbled.

"Fair. Why offer the idea then?"

"Man! You're so annoying!" I groaned.

He had the audacity to laugh.

"We can plan more tomorrow."

"No! Your birthday is tomorrow. We have to choose now."

Alex chuckled.

"Alright, fine. What do people do for winter birthdays?"

I thought about it for a while as I parked my car in the driveway of the house. Well, it wasn't a driveway honestly. It was just a dirt and gravel road in front of the house where we all parked our cars.

"Ice skating?"

"I can't skate."

"It's a lot easier than roller skating."

"That's literally a lie."

"How would you know if you've never done either! Did you have no childhood!?"

He let out a dry chuckle which made me feel like I said something wrong.

"Yeah… well fine. We can do ice skating. But if I fall, I'm taking you down with me."

I grinned to myself.

"Okay, fine. I gotta go now though."

"Alright. Bye, have fun."

"Thank you."

And I hung up.

I turned my car off and got out and walked up to the door. I unlocked the door and of course the Jiménez house was loud and messy.

It'll only change when everyone gets married and moves out.

"MAMMA! IL TUO FIGLIO ASINO HA PRESO IL MIO PROFUMO!" Victoria screamed down the stairs.

"WHAT!? Perché dovrei voler odorare di merda tropicale!?" James screamed after her.

"Then who fucking took it? Because only Ariel would take it and he's not here!"

Well, technically—

The twins came tumbling down the stairs while fighting over something I don't even know. They landed at my feet and looked up at me.

They grinned.

"Hi," they said in unison.

"Why aren't you dressed?"

"Well, the family's going out to an amusement park so it's been hard trying to get into a bathroom,' Lilith sighed.

"And it's been hard trying to get mama or papa to help us get ready," Liam groaned as he rubbed the back of his head.

I sucked my teeth.

"Alright. You're lucky I'm early and we have plenty of time. I'll help you guys."