number twenty

Ariel Jiménez

It was 2:14 PM when I finally arrived in front of Nathaniel’s castle.

The gate in front of the house opened and I cautiously drove through the gate and parked my car next to a black Mercedes Benz. I turned off my car and then reached for my phone and bag. I shoved my keys into my bag and got out of the car and locked my car. I looked around before carefully walking up to the door.

“Uh.”

I took my phone out of my back pocket and unlocked it. I clicked on Nathaniel’s contact and clicked the call button. I brought the phone to my ear and it rang just as the door was thrown open.

I stepped back with my eyes blown up as the woman I saw before with Nathaniel all that time ago stood in front of me. She looked me up and down with her lip pulled upward in disgust. I pulled the phone down from my ear as it told me to leave a message and eyed her back.

She rolled her eyes then spun around and walked back into the house.

“¿Por qué hay un stripper frente a mi casa?” She shouted into the house.

Okay, rude.

I rolled my eyes and placed my hand on my hip as I looked into the house. I saw people walking around throughout the house and sighed as I peeked my head in.

“Mama, where’s my bag?” I heard a familiar voice whine.

“Oh, Maddy?” I perked up when I saw her walk by.

She backtracked and grinned when she saw me. She ran up to me and hugged me tightly around my middle.

“What’re you doing here?” She pulled back with a big beautiful smile on her face.

“I’m here to practice with Nathaniel.”

“Ohh! That’s why he won’t come to the watch party with us.”

“Watch party?”

Madeleine nodded quickly.

“Me, Mama, Daddy, and Mama Lauren are going to this hotel for the night to celebrate a movie Nathaniel did that’s premiering today!”

He has a watch party for his movie and he chose to still practice with me? Is this man insane? I’d ditch him to watch my hard work in a second.

“He did a movie recently?”

“Mhm. I’m sure he’d rather I don’t talk about it. But you can always ask him.” Maddy nodded at me.

“Madeleine!” Another woman screamed as she walked out from what I assumed was a family room.

She paused as she saw us standing together.

“Maddy, who is this?” She asked as she approached Maddy and pulled her back slightly.

Well, damn woman, I don’t have some sort of contagious disease. Your kid will be fine.

I tucked my phone into my back pocket and held my hand out to her.

“My name’s Ariel.”

She looked from my hand to my face to her daughter.

Woman, don’t think I won’t cuss you out.

“Hello. My name’s Katherine.” She took my hand and shook it.

“That’s quite the handshake,” she chuckled.

“Got it from my dad.” I nodded as I let go of her hands.

I heard yelling upstairs and then the sound of a door slamming before a man quickly came down the stairs. He looked up at Katherine and threw his hands up. He looked like an older version of Nathaniel. His father, I’m guessing.