number twenty-two

Ariel Jiménez

I sat down on the dock while everyone was running around and playing games. I was picking at my nails with my knees pulled up to my chest and my eyes downcast onto my fingers.

I rubbed my knuckles against my cheek and sighed. I wonder what's going through Alex's head right now. I wonder if he even cares.

My already messy hair got messier via the powerful wind. It was actually warm outside and I greatly appreciated the breeze. The youngins were swimming around in the lake. I was both against it and for it because it's hot and I saw no issue with it at first but then I realized they'd have to get in my car with their soggy dog bodies.

So, Sabrina suggested they strip to almost nothing and then dry off before getting dressed again. Nathaniel was completely against the idea of letting his little sister strip into nothing but her undergarments and jump into the lake.

But Madeleine is a strong-willed girlie and refused to be left out. All it took was me giving my siblings the "okay" for her to bicker with her brother until he caved. So, with everyone's clothes next to me, they all had fun splashing around and splashing each other while Nathaniel took all the horses back into the stable.

Which meant I was left with my thoughts. Well, until I was rudely interrupted.

Nathaniel sat down beside me with his legs hanging off the edge of the dock. I didn't turn to him and continued to stare out into the lake and far-off sky.

"You don't want to join them?"

Absolutely fucking not.

"No."

"Why not?"

Because my body aches and I'm not in the fucking mood.

"I just don't want to. Why do you care anyway? If you wanna join them go ahead. That's none of my business."

I looked at him for a brief second and saw something change in his face before he turned around and looked at our siblings as well.

"Hey, you four?" Nathaniel called out to the group in the lake.

They stopped their splashing and turned to him.

"Should Ariel join us?"

Of course, the demon twins decide to scream as loud as they can and tell him, yes, I should join them in the lake. Sabrina is just as excited but not as loud. But Madeleine is cheering a little quieter, but she's cheering nonetheless.

"Well, you've heard the people," he chuckled as he stood up.

"Don't you dare fucking touch me."

He quirked an eyebrow.

"Is that a threat?"

"No, it's a statement."

He grabbed my hands and pulled me to my feet before squatting down and placing his hands under my thighs to pick me up.

"Hey! Fucker! Put me down!"

He brought his hands up towards my waist and tried to pry me off of him and throw me into the lake. I locked my ankles and my left hand around my right wrist. Everyone in the lake was cheering and shouting.

"I swear to God!"

"He's not releasing me," Nathaniel laughed before sighing.

He turned around and walked away from the edge of the dock. Everyone booed and I felt a feeling of relief. My muscles relaxed and I slowly tried to remove myself from him. Though it didn't last long. Nathaniel spun around and sprinted towards the edge of the dock and my legs and arms tightened their grips around his waist and neck respectively.