number forty-two

Ariel Jiménez

I quit my job at the café and got a different job at a library café and I loved it.

It had a calm and cozy feeling constantly and the manager was like a big sister to everyone. It was like an unwritten rule that we all had to be calm and at peace with each other.

As I moved to end my shift, cleaning off the counters and washing the dishes, I thought about how the day would go with Nathaniel.

Today was our practice day that I wouldn't let him forget about. He hadn't texted me that practice was cancelled but he also hadn't texted me that practice was still on.

Is that how that works? No, right? The event is current with the last mention of its occurrence unless told otherwise. So, it's still on.

Right?

Oh, God. What was happening!?

Green Eyes: If you happen to be on your way anytime in the next few hours, call me.

Green Eyes: I am getting into the shower right now.

Me: 👌

Me: im just cleaning before I end my shift since the person after me just got here

Green Eyes: Alright.

I went into the back, took off my apron and visor, and grabbed my dance bag. I said goodbye to the girl taking over after me and went to my car.

Life feels so fuzzy. Neither real nor fake, good nor bad. Alex is still jealous at every little thing, but he hasn't hit me.

The bare minimum, I know. But I'm just glad I don't have to hide any bruises or ice my swollen cheek. We still had yelling matches over his behavior and they're getting to be more and more exhausting.

In fact, recently, the screaming match went on for so long my head started to hurt. I told him to just "fuck off" and locked myself in the bathroom. Later he came with an apology-hot-chocolate which I took but we didn't talk for the rest of the night.

I got in my car and began playing a random playlist Spotify generated. I dropped my phone in the cup holder and drove to Nathaniel's house.

I waited in front of the door for a few moments before it was pulled open, revealing Nathaniel in a pair of leggings and no shirt. He was drying his hair as he welcomed me inside.

I went upstairs and changed in the bathroom I always changed in.

I left the bathroom with my stuff and entered the practice room. I dropped my bag in a random corner and began stretching. Nathaniel wasn't in the room yet, so I assumed he was still drying his hair.

When he came in, he immediately went to pick scenes we would be working on. I watched as he did this, taking in his stature.

Tall and strong. He's a tiny bit shorter than my dad so I assume he's 6'2. He definitely has a body built from physical activity and not just the gym. I think he's mentioned activities he's done before, but I can't remember what. But they definitely show in his body.

He had strong thighs, sculpted arms, and well engraved abs. It looked as if he was literally sculpted of clay and everyday detail was cared for intricately.

He had that muscle fat on his chest and ass. I wonder if I could just—

"Is there anything in particular you want to work on? Any song you want to dance to before we practice?"

I blinked at him and coughed. If he knew my thoughts he'd probably either be uncomfortable or tease me about it. I didn't like either situation.

"Uh, do you know how to waltz?"