number eighteen

Nathaniel Azevedo

"Place your fingers here and here, then with your other hand here, here, and here."

"Mama, my hands are too tiny."

She smiled at me before she placed her hands on the piano as well. She elegantly lifted her hands and I followed her to the best of my abilities. Soon, both of our hands were gliding across the keys in harmony. She hummed then turned to me. Her dark brown hair was pulled up into a ponytail and her face was bare of any makeup.

I liked seeing her like that. I like seeing my mom as a mom. Not Lauren Azevedo. But just Lauren, my mommy.

"Light green eyes~" she sang.

"Light green eyes~" I mimicked.

"Midnight hair~"

"Midnight hair~"

"And a little button nose that could run the fair," she smiled brightly at me as I scrunched up my nose at her.

"Inside our home is where we'll be."

"Singing our song in harmony."

She changed up a part in the song which caught me by surprise but it sounded amazing. Her fingers moved quickly and elegantly.

"My name is Lauren Azevedo~"

"My name is Nate!"

She chuckled as she gently bumped me with her arm and I giggled.

"Your name is Nathaniel."

"Mrs. Abi and you call me Nate!"

"Well, what does daddy call you?"

"Nathaniel..." I pouted as I stopped playing the piano.

"Do you wish daddy would call you Nate?"

I nodded.

"Well, maybe we can convince him when he comes home."

"Madam," Mrs. Abi came in.

I was happy to see her. I was always happy to see her. When mother and father were gone, she was who would take me to the park and my medical appointments.

"Abi."

"Mr. Azevedo is home."

I perked up at that and tried to jump off the stool. My mother picked me up by my armpits and sat me on the ground.

I ran downstairs to see my father sitting down in the living room. He looked up at me and nodded.

"Olá, meu garotinho."

"You're home early," my mother lost her joyous tone that she had not too long ago.

I ran to him as he stood up and hugged his legs with a giggle as I looked up at him. I just wanted him to look at me with any look other than one of disinterest. I wanted him to look at me like how mother looked at me.

"Lauren, can we talk upstairs?"

"Sure."

She followed behind my father and I knew where a child's place was in this household. But for once, I didn't want so many secrets. I rushed after them and pressed my ear against the door.

"What is this?"

"Open it."

I heard rustling.

"Hah," my mother scoffed.