29. - Present Day

"Oh. My. God." I gasp.

"You're famous" she chuckles.

"Jade this is awful" I groan, scrolling through the countless new comments on pictures on my Instagram that were posted back in 2014.

"Don't worry about it. They troll everyone. But you will be watched from now on. So you best look the part" she continues to sift through my closet.

"Jade I gained 100,000 followers overnight. How did they find me?" I feel myself getting physically ill over the attention.

Jade chuckles in sarcasm. "They are better than detectives. We've always said this. They would have found you faster than the police if your body went missing"

"That's terrifying" I inform her.

She shrugs it off like it's nothing, "you'll get used to it. But be prepared. Half of them already hate you"

My stomach drops. "Why?"

"Because he loves you" she chuckles.

After we finally agree on 5 choices of outfits that have been stuffed into my bag, she hurries me out the door, swinging her keys around her finger and whistling an unfamiliar tune as we head down the apartment stairs.

"Are you ready to go get your Prince, Princess?" She mocks as we get into her car.

Reaching across the middle, I squeeze her hand, "thank you for this" I appreciate sincerely.

"You're welcome" she responds with a calming smile.

Pulling up the airport feels surreal. I still haven't heard from Lando, and I don't even know when he's getting to China. The race isn't for another week, but Jade insisted that it was going to cost the same in flights regardless of my fly in and fly out days, so I may as well sight see whilst I'm at it.

"Okay, do you have everything?" She checks as we get ready to part ways at the gate.

I nod nervously. "Yeah I think so."

She pulls me in for a hug. "Have the best time, okay. And call me whenever you can"

"I will" I promise her as we part way and I make my way through security.

Finding my gate, I settle down into one of the chairs, pulling my book from my bag and doing my best to not people watch, although it is very difficult.

My phone begins to vibrate in my bag as I struggle to dig through to retrieve it.

Lando's name covers the screen and my excitement levels multiply.

"Lando, Hi. How are you?" I ask, a little too eager.

"Baylee?" He asks.

"Yeah I'm here. Can you hear me?" I respond.

"Yeah barely. It's loud where you are. Where are you?" He quizzes.

"Well" I swallow a tingle of doubt. "I'm at the airport"

"The airport?" He gasps.

"Yeah. I'm, ummm, Jade bought me a flight to China"

There's a moment of pause on his end.

"Lando?" I ask when he doesn't reply.

"You're coming to China?" He asks and I don't miss the tone of disapproval rather than excitement.

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to him with that. I'm not sure what answer it is he wants me to give him.

"Should I not? Come to China?" I ask.

"I mean, I want to see you. So that'll be nice" he responds which relieves me only a little as I can feel the 'but' coming.

"Yeah, I want to see you too"

He doesn't say anything.

"I'll stay out of the way. I don't even need to come to the race if it's too much." I quickly offer.

"Umm, when do you land?" He asks.

"I'm boarding soon. It's about 13-14 hours" I inform him.

"Okay. I'm flying in later tonight, so we should arrive nearly the same time" he responds although he still doesn't sound too happy about me coming.

I nod even though I know he can't see me.

"Where are you staying?" He asks.

And it hits me, we never actually figured any of that out. "I'll find a place when I get there. Or I'll book something now. Don't worry about me"

"This really was spontaneous, wasn't it?" He chuckles, but only lightly.

"I suppose it was" I confirm.

"Just message me when you land. I'll come get you and we can talk okay?"

Talk.

That word never implied anything good happening.

"Baylee?" He asks when I realise I haven't responded.

"Yeah sorry, I'm here. Should I leave this airport, Lando? Honestly?" I hesitate to ask.

"What do you mean?" He gasps.

"Should I not come to China?" I ask again.

He's quiet. Which answers my question anyway.

"Come to China, Baylee. Of course. I want to see you. But we do need to talk okay?"

FLIGHT BA761 TO CHINA WILL BEGIN BOARDING FROM GATE 15.

My call comes in over the speaker.

"Baylee?" He asks.

"Yeah, I got it. We need to talk" I respond.

When he hangs up the phone I feel absolutely defeated and gutted. I feel like I shouldn't even get on the flight.

We need to talk.

My eyes dart toward the exit and then toward the gate where people are beginning to queue up.

Gathering my things, I join the back of the line. 

My phone buzzes in my hand again. Peering down I see a text message from Lando.

Have a safe flight. I'm looking forward to seeing you x - Lando.

What a head spin.

I decide to just be honest with him.

I have to admit. 'We need to talk' has kind of freaked me out and I'm looking at the exit as an attractive option right now. - Baylee.

He responds immediately.

No, no. Please get on the flight. I'll explain when you get here. Please, I'm sorry. I realise how that sounded. But I promise, it's nothing to do with you and everything to do with me. It's going to be okay.

His responds makes me feel worse than it does better. And I really dread whatever is waiting for me on the other end of this 13 hour flight.