24. - Present Day

We had an incredible time at the springs. It was so nice to just be able to relax with him in a neutral zone where he wasn't "Lando Norris" and being stopped every two seconds for a picture or an autograph. Don't get me wrong, I was so incredibly proud of him, and I knew that he was supported by so many people from all over the world, it just made it a little difficult to have some of our much needed conversations with a bystander there every second word. 

"That was so nice, thank you for taking me there" I appreciate as the city falls back into view in front of us. 

My eyes dart toward him when I don't get a response, noticing he looked a little down. 

Reaching across and intwining his fingers with mine, I ask, "Is everything okay?" 

His head snaps to mine, "What? Sorry. Yeah" he staggers. 

"You sure?" I ask, unconvinced. 

He nods his head, a fake smile coating his troubled lips. 

I choose not to push, whatever is on his mind I assume he will talk to me about if he wants and when he's ready. 

"I have to take care of some things tonight, but I'll see you tomorrow morning yeah?" he informs me, his eyes unmoving from the road. 

"You're not spending the night?" I clarify. Since we were reunited, we hadn't really spent a moment apart at all. We were savouring every moment together, unaware of what was going to happen in the next few days. 

His lips part as if he's about to answer, but I watch as they close again, folding in on each other, reconsidering his response. 

"I just have some things to do with the team, in preparation for Japan. I'm not sure how long it will take" he replies. 

I consider it for a moment, knowing its not something I'm able to judge or comment on. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and between races. 

"No worries" I reply, shocked at how sarcastic my tone comes across. 

"Baylee, don't please." He warns. 

"Sorry, I'm not sure why it came out like that. It's no problem, really" I try and reassure. 

"It obviously is a problem if it's making you mad" he fires back. 

"I'm not mad" I chirp, forcing a smile. 

"I'll see you tomorrow" he repeats. 

I nod my head, my thumb stroking back and forth on his hand as we pull up behind some banked up traffic. 

"God dammit" he curses, letting go of my hand and shifting the gears down forcibly. "Is the traffic always this bad?" 

I shrug my shoulders coldly, "I'm not sure. I don't usually drive" 

He flicks me an unimpressed look before darting his head either side, trying to consider another option. 

"How, umm, how far is it to your apartment from here?" he asks. 

My lips part in shock, understanding what he is asking, turning my head to face him. 

"About a 20 minute walk" I inform him in an almost whisper. 

I see the request written all over his face and I accept it with a nod. 

"I'll message you later" I mutter with a forced lightness to my voice. 

"I'm sorry" he mutters, not even looking at me. 

I stare at the side of his face for a moment, my mind travelling at a million miles an hour. 

Reaching my hand for the door handle, pausing only for a moment giving him one last opportunity to stop me, I then pull it open, grabbing my tote from the floor and tossing it over my shoulder. 

Once I step out onto the road and step around the banked up cars, I hear him put the car into gear, whipping it around in a u-turn and speeding off back the way we came. 

Sucking in a deep breath, I make my way over toward the other side of the road, closest to the river before going home. I couldn't think what I could have done wrong or what had gone wrong for him to act out like that. 

I tried to convince myself it had nothing to do with me, and that something had come up in work and it had been weighing on his mind the drive home.

But it wasn't until my 4th message that night went unresponsive, that I began to take it personally. 

"Hey, I didn't expect you home" Jade gushes as she stumbles in the front door around 11pm. 

Pulling my knees up to my chest as I shuffle back slightly on the couch, I choke down my tears. 

"What's happened?" she rushes over, pulling me into her. 

Wrapping my arms around her, I feel the tears begin to fall down my cheek. 

"I'm not even sure to be honest" I sob with a slight unamused chuckle. 

"Where's Lando?" she asks. 

"He said he had things to take care of" I inform her, pushing a tear from my face. 

"When was that?" 

I click my phone screen on, checking the time. "About 11 hours ago"

Her eyes widen, "Please don't tell me you've been sitting here like this for 11 hours"

I shake my head in a chuckle, "I went to the fridge earlier" I mock. 

Jade lets out a breathily chuckle before pulling me into her again. "I'm sure he's got a good explanation" she suggests. 

I nod against her. I sure hope so

LANDO NORRIS

"I'm not sure I'm understanding" I boast toward Jon, although I know he's only the message man. 

"Zak wants you and Oscar for the media day in Japan" he repeats, as if that was the part I wasn't understanding. 

"No, what I mean is why is media happening so early. That's Thursday next week" I inform him as he shakes his head at me. 

"The special livery is being launched on the 9th" he confirms. 

"Jon" I moan, "That's in 3 days" 

He nods his head understanding. "I know" 

My eyes close as I take in this information. "When are they flying us out?" 

"Zak wants you on a flight tomorrow night"