7. - Present Day

"This is horrible, this is bad, this is going to end in disaster" I ramble continuously as we walk through the front gates of Albert Park.

Jade chuckles as she loops her arm through mine, "You're going to be fine. You look hot as, so you're prepared, physically, if you were to run into him"

That somehow doesn't make me feel any better. Obviously.

"We just need to hurry up and get to our seats, I feel exposed walking around too often" I insist, pulling up the ticket and trying to work out the quickest route to the grandstand.

"So paranoid" she mocks, pulling me through the crowds.

Scanning  through the crowd, doing double takes of guys in papaya where every face appears to be taking the shape of him.

Walking down the makeshift steps toward the front row, we side shuffle along the row until we make it to our seats.

"This is us" Jade announces as we match up our tickets to the seats.

"Fantastic" I gush, trying around and settling into my seat, feeling relieved for the briefest moment.

Gazing out upon the track, we are right in line with the first place position on the start grid. Meaning the position where Lando will start will be right down from us.

The grid begins to fill up with media, commentators, engineers, mechanics as the vintage cars begin to pull in for the drivers parade.

Music bursts through the speakers and the atmosphere around the paddock begins to pick up, people singing and dancing, their drinks start flowing and I try my best to relax.

"Who knew car racing could be so much fun" Jade gushes beside me.

I let out a chuckle, "What did you expect?"

She shrugs her shoulders as she begins to dance in her seat, "I actually had no idea"

As the grid piles up, chatter building amongst the masses, a few other girls settle in beside us. I turn around as the grandstands begin to fill up, an array of supporters for every team begin to take their seats, all hoping to see their favourites do well today.

There's an obvious preference for Red Bull, especially Max Verstappen who starts from pole position today.

"What is happening? I'm so confused" Jade queries.

Shaking my head in amusement, I turn back toward the grid just as a few of the drivers begin to file down toward their designated cars.

My breath hitches, eagerly waiting to catch sight of the only driver I desperately and equally don't and hope to see.

After they all manage to take their spots, and I still haven't been able to spot Lando yet, I feel even more anxious.

I was kind of hoping that I would be able to keep him in my eye sight the entire day to make sure he doesn't get me in his.

They start their way around the grid and the audience erupts in applause and cheers as each of the drivers make their way past the grandstands.

"Have you seen him yet?" Jade asks.

I shake my head in anticipation, "No"

I cringe slightly as the girls beside us as they scream for Charles and Carlos as they pass us. Let out a chuckled giggle as I face the grid, joining in by waving toward the drivers as they pass.

"LANDO!" the girl behind me yells, I turn quickly around to face her, my first instinct is to ask her to politely, shut the hell up.

But as she begins waving enthusiastically at the circuit, I turn back around, fearing the worst.

And receiving exactly that.

Our eyes lock immediately and I watch as his face falls, his gaze burying into mine.

The noise of the surrounding crowds fades away, and time begins to happen in slow motion as his attention remains unmoving, lips parted slightly.

His car continues to travel over the start/finish line, as he quickly changes direction, keeping eye contact as he has to look over his other shoulder.

"I'm going to be sick" I gasp.

LANDO

There is no way.

There is absolutely no way.

I'm used to hearing the fans scream your name as the cars travel past each section of the track. You learn to just smile and wave, throw the occasional thumbs up as you pass, making eye contact every so often as they jump around.

When I heard my name from the grandstand, I felt a pull toward that section.

She was the last person I ever expected to see.

Yet the only person I was able to see amongst the crowd.

At first I wasn't sure it was her, how could it be?

But how my body responded to that person, that confirmed to me that it was her. But how?

"You alright?" Oscar asks as the cars park around the end of the track.

"Yeah. I thought I just saw, never mind" I blow off.

"You sure?" He assures.

I turn back toward where I thought I saw her, but the crowds have banned together and now they all look the same.

"Yeah, I'm okay" I wave off, heading toward my garage.

I felt myself becoming slightly disconnected from the race the more I thought about who could be in the audience.

"Lando?" Zak calls from the front of the garage, gesturing me over toward the pit wall. "Just wanted to look over a few of these strategies with you"

"Yeah, no worries" I confirm.

I find myself distracted, gazing past Zak's shoulder every now and again, seeing if I can spot her in the crowds.

I'm now thinking my mind was playing tricks on me.

Being back in Australia.

Being here.

And everything that happened.

Maybe my mind is just teasing me.

"Everything alright there, Lando?" Zak snaps me out of my distraction.

I shake it off, "Yeah. Strategy sounds good"

I'll confirm it when we head to the grid.

I don't really have another choice.

I feel like that's a good enough plan as I head back to the garage and start my usual pre race set up with my engineers.

But I can't silence that little voice in the back of my head.

What if it is her?

I think I've always been subconsciously thinking of her this past year, but I always assumed it was just because it felt unfinished.

I don't know what it is, and I don't really know how to explain it.

What if it is her?