2. - Present Day

This is stupid.

This whole thing is stupid.

When Lando and I met, and he was describing his plans for once he left racing, part of me was excited at the prospect we'd be able to explore our connection.

I mean; you don't have a night like we did and not become curious about where it could go.

But when I found out he had secured a place in McLaren Formula 1 team, a huge part of me accepted that I was no longer worthy.

The minute he signed that contract, I would have slipped from his mind.

"Thank you" I appreciate to the Uber driver as he pulls up at the curb side.

7pm, right on the dot. I hadn't been back here this past year. Previously it was one of my favourite restaurants to come, but once we made that promise, I guess I felt the place became a little sacred.

I wanted to make the next time I stepped foot through these doors, was when we reunited.

Making my way into the dim lit room, I spot our empty booth right away, and I try and not overthink the fact that it is empty.

I take my seat in my original spot, a light chuckle falling from my lips at how delusional I feel right now. This kind of thing just doesn't happen.

Settling my handbag next to me, I pull out my small compact mirror, giving myself the quick once over in the reflection before popping it away.

Resting my arms up on the table, I pick at my fingers nervously, then realise I probably should've have my arms on the table, so I quickly bring them back and secure them in my lap, then realising I probably look weird like this so I return them to the table yet this time crossed on the edge, applying a little body weight.

But that doesn't feel right either.

So, I lift one arm so my chin is able to rest in its cupped hand.

What would I even say to him?

I'd be lying if I said the quick, witty lines hadn't passed through my mind, but obviously deciding against them at the risk of sounding like an idiot.

Do I thank him for coming?

Do I ask if he remembers that night?

A thousand thoughts scramble through my mind.

"Excuse me, miss?" I hear a male voice from behind me.

Was that him?

My lips part in shock, as I slowly turn around to the male figure perched strategically between the artificial plants.

A face presenting itself that isn't the same face I met a year ago.

"Does your table happen to have any salt? Ours is empty?" The man asks politely, his dates hopeful face glaring at me from her side.

Without really paying much attention. I pick up the salt and hand it over my shoulder to them.

"Thank you" the female voice calls out.

As I sit there, quite literally twiddling my thumbs, I come to the obvious conclusion that he isn't coming. He was never coming. Of course not.

"Can I get you anything?" The waiter asks as she approaches my table, pen and pad in hand.

"I'll grab a serving of cheesy fries please, and a glass of champagne too" I request.

—————————————————————————

2. - A Year Ago (the second hour)

I've spent the past few minutes barely able to keep down any of my food from pent up laughter.

"Wait, wait" he halts, pointing at me with his fork and shielding his freshly full mouth himself. "He said what to you when he approached you?"

I'm sure it isn't as funny as what I'm chuckling right now, but we've been sharing first date horror stories, and I've found myself just knocking my entire relationship with Finn to the ground.

"Are you a parking ticket? Because you've got fine written all over you" I repeat again through hysterics.

Lando squirms in his chair in dramatic pain. "No" he groans, "and that worked on you? Seriously Baylee?" He mocks.

"Hey" I gasp in defence. "I thought it was sweet"

He sends me a dumbfound look.

"Okay then fine" I demand. "What's your go to pick up line? Hit me with it, your best line" I encourage.

Lando claps his hands together, a smug look taking over his face, "oh, you're not even ready for this one" he chuckles as he begins to fiddle with his pocket, revealing his phone.

Passing it across the table to me, "could you please just have a look at this for me?" He asks, almost unable to contain his laughter. "It seems to be broken"

I play into his little show, "what seems to be the problem?" I ask, turning the phone over in my hand.

"You're number isn't in it" he boasts.

Unable to hold in my laughter, I double over again. "Has that ever worked for you?" I ask.

"I don't know, I've never tried it" he admits, "read it last night on Twitter"

Gesturing the phone back to him, I can't help but find him so adorable.

With another mouthful of food, he shakes his head at me whilst I wait there with his stretched out phone.

"What?" I ask, confused.

Gesturing to his phone with his fork, "it's still broken"

My head tilts at him in disbelief. "Are you asking for my number?"

He shakes his head again, finishing a mouthful of food before reaching for his water.

"Not asking, no" he replies. "Asking would imply you have a choice. I'm not giving you one" he mocks.

Rolling my eyes at him, I try and ignore the swarm of butterflies that just gathered in the pit of my stomach. I pull the phone back to me and tapping my number into his phone.

As I hand it back to him, I hate the glare of satisfaction on his face as he retrieves the phone and slides it back into his pocket.

He shakes his head a little in amusement and makes a small grunting sound.

"What?" I ask him, confused.

"Nothing" he shakes his head at me again, "oh but just to answer your question before. Yeah, that pick up line works" he sasses, tapping the small bludge in his pocket where his phone sits.