Ch.14: Gran Torino

As I sit next to Izuku on the train, I can't help but feel guilty for how I've been distant from him lately.

I need to find a way to make it up to him and show him that our friendship still means a lot to me. So I take a deep breath and say, "Hey, Izuku...I've been meaning to talk to you... lately, I've realized that I haven't been there for you as much as I should have. And, well, I want you to know that our friendship still means a lot to me."

Izuku looks at me with a mixture of surprise and relief. He opens his mouth to respond but he hesitates for a moment before saying, "I've noticed that too, but I didn't want to say anything. It means a lot to hear you say that, and I want you to know that our friendship means a lot to me too...Remember that one summer vacation when we went on that spontaneous road trip and got lost in a small town, only-"

"To discover the best ice cream shop ever?" I say with a laugh, finishing his sentence.

Izuku's eyes light up with nostalgia as he nods, a smile spreading across his face. "Yes! That was one of the best memories we have together," he says, his voice filled with warmth.

"We've had some truly unforgettable moments, haven't we? From our late-night study sessions to our crazy adventures, I cherish every single one of them." I say with a fond smile.

A while later...

After some time of talking about the past, it's finally time to get off the train and meet Gran Torino. I gather my things and step off the train, feeling a mix of excitement and nervousness.

Izuku leads the way, map in hand, as we navigate through the busy streets. I stay close behind him, taking in the sights and sounds of the city. We finally reach our destination and stand in front of an old, decrepit building.

The paint is peeling off the walls and the windows are broken, giving it a haunting appearance. Izuku takes a deep breath and pushes open the creaking door, and our eyes widen in disbelief.

There, lying in a pool of ketchup, is Gran Torino pretending to be dead. A mixture of relief and confusion washes over me as I realize it was all just an elaborate prank.

Izuku lets out a blood-curdling scream, convinced that he's dead. His scream echoes through the empty hallways of the building, causing birds to scatter from their perches outside.

To his surprise, he perks his head up and chuckles mischievously. "I'm alive!" he says,

Izuku lets out another scream, this time in sheer relief.

Gran Torino then explains that he was carrying sausages with ketchup on them when he tripped and fell, causing the sausages to spill all over him. As I try to process the bizarre situation, Gran Torino turns to us and asks, "Who are you two?"

"Hello, I'm Izuku Midorya, and this is my friend Jakku. We're from U.A and we're here for internships."

"You are who now?" Gran Torino asks.

"I am Izuku Midorya!"

"So, what's your name, boy?"

Izuku sighs with frustration, and says, "This is going nowhere." He then reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone, deciding to call someone for help.

As he walks outside I say to him, " Hey Izuku, are you alright with Torino looking in your suitcase?" He turns back with a look of realization and quickly rushes back inside to find Gran Torino inspecting his belongings. "Hey wait that's my stuff!"

"Why don't you fire off your quirk at me and show me how far you've handled it's power?"

Izuku stands there, puzzled by the unexpected question.