book 2 chapter 4: southern air temple

-flashback, the night before the spirit attack-
Ophelia had given a unit of fire benders a scroll which had some instructions for them in case if Unalaq had other plans and were instructed to follow Tonraq's orders until she'd returns with some help.

-currently-

After hours of flying, Ophelia was asleep while she had her head on Josh's shoulder.

Kya: the Fire princess looks adorable when she's resting on your shoulder, Josh.

Josh: she does. It must've been the journey to the temple.

Ikki was trying to wake Ophelia but only to have a light tap on her head to stop the air bender kid. The journey was about to come to an end when Tenzin announced their arrival as Ophelia gently wakes up. After they landed, Maurice walked over to the sky bison as they were joined by three air acolytes.

Acolyte: welcome master Tenzin and pupil Maurice.

Maurice: Hi Abbott Shung.

Tenzin: it's wonderful to see you.

Shung: Is there anything you need? Water? Dandelion greens? Ahh, perhaps you'd like to recenter yourself by meditating in the gardens?

Maurice: I'm down for meditation in the gardens but first, I would like to help my sister and her bodyguard with settling in.

Shung: That's a wonderful idea. Oh, before I forget, pupil Maurice, we've already given a couple of your other pet dragons some food. They'll be hungry again for lunch.

Maurice: thanks for that.

As they received gifts from the acolytes, Maurice was given a golden locket with an air bending guru in a meditation position.

Maurice: master? Who's this on the front of the locket?

Tenzin: That's guru Laghima. It was said that he was the first air nomad to have unlocked the ability of flight.

Maurice: flight? How?

Tenzin: with a unique poem.

After hearing that, Maurice opens the locket and finds the poem inside.

Maurice: (reading the poem, softly) "Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty, and become wind" huh, that sounds interesting.

Josh: (walks over) what does?

Maurice shows Josh the poem as he theorised what the poem really was. Ophelia had received a bunch of flowers from the acolytes alongside Pema. Later, Maurice helped both his sister and her bodyguard to settle in to a room for their stay before he heads to the garden for meditation. Josh and Ophelia went to the great avatar statue hall with Tenzin and Jinora.

Ophelia: I never thought there were this many Avatars before. (Sees a familiar statue before avatar Aang) that's my great, great grandfather: Avatar Roku. Josh, come here for a moment. (Notices that he didn't listen) Josh?

Noticing that he was looking at the statue of the avatar before Ruko, Ophelia walked over to him as he was trying to figure out who she was.

Josh: (mutters to himself) why does this avatar look familiar? Uniform wise?

Ophelia: Josh? Is everything ok there?

Josh: (snaps back to reality) huh? Oh yeah. I take it that you found the statue of the avatar before Aang?

Ophelia: yep. He was my great, great grandfather on my great grandmother's side.

The two were interrupted when Meelo crashed into a statue nearby from his race with Ikki.

Tenzin: (shocked, wide eyed) MEELO!

as he tends to his son, Jinora had a closer look at avatar Aang's statue. That night, she couldn't sleep and went to find Maurice to wake him up for a walk. The two friends walked around the avatar statue hall until they came across a statue of the very first avatar with a spirit behind him.

Maurice: whoa. I never seen this one before.

Jinora: me neither. What avatar is this?

Suddenly, the statue hall started to glow as every statue had their eyes glow bright. Including the statue of the first avatar.

Maurice: I remember now, Jinora. Allow me to introduce you to Avatar Wan. The very first avatar and his friend/ally, Raava. The two became one during something called Harmonic Convergence.

Jinora: (smiles, turns to Maurice) you've certainly took your studies seriously.

Maurice: I learnt from the best.

The light on Wan's statue started to fade down. Over the remainder of their visit to the southern air temple, Ikki went missing until she was found by Tenzin before they left for the eastern air temple. Maurice accidentally unlock the ability to fly during that time.

The next chapter: troubling news