book 1 chapter 6: shutting down the arena?

After her encounter with Amon, Korra decided to leave the task force which made Tarrlok a little disappointed. She and her fellow fire Ferrets are now sponsored by a company called future industrials run by Asumi's father, Hiroshi Sato. The team were busy training for their big match against the champions, the Wolfbats until a familiar voice was heard from the radio.

Amon: (through radio) Good morning, citizens of Republic City. This is Amon. I hope you all enjoyed last night's pro-bending match, because it will be the last. It's time for this city to stop worshiping bending athletes as if they were heroes. I am calling on the council to shut down the bending arena  and cancel the finals or else there will be severe consequences...

The trio head off to town hall as Tenzin stood up to tell them off.

Tenzin: Korra, you shouldn't be here. This is a closed meeting.

Korra: as both the avatar and a pro bender, I have the right to be heard. (To the council members) you can't cancel the finals.

As Tenzin argues with Korra about how important it is for her and her team to win the championship, Josh and Ophelia had arrived at town hall.

Ophelia: I'm kinda disappointed in the lot of you. Trying to cancel the finals is the actions of cowardice.

Tenzin: cowardice or not, we can't risk the safety of the citizens. I'm sorry, Ophelia.

Tarrlok agrees with Tenzin and was about to close the meeting. But Josh spoke up as he walks forward.

Josh: Tarrlok, think about what you're doing. Shutting down the arena would only play into Amon's hands.

Tenzin: Josh, please. You're being unreasonable. Think of the safety of the citizens.

Josh: I am. But the people who aren't reasonable are you lot.

Tarrlok: reasonable or not, we're not put innocent lives at stake just so you and your friends can play a-

Ophelia: if you're going to say that it's 'just a game', you're wrong.

Fire council member: I say that we better listen to what the princess has to say.

Tenzin: very well.

Ophelia: (walks forward to the council) while Tarrlok is right about pro bending is a game but it's also a symbol of unity where benders and non benders gather together and watch a match between two teams of benders, battling it out to achieve the ultimate goal of being the year's champions. If you take it away, there will be riots and protest. Is that something you really want?

After voicing her concerns, the council refuse to change their decision. Tarrlok was about to close the meeting when they were joined by Republic city's chief of police and adoptive mother of Josh, Lin Beifong.

Lin: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the Avatar and the fire princess.

Tarrlok/Korra: you do?

Lin: I expected this behaviour from Tenzin but the rest of you? Come on. It's time for benders to stand together and united, we are strong.

Tenzin: but we must prevent conflict between non benders and benders from moving into an all-out war! (Tarrlok has a think) The council will not be changing its decision, Lin.

Josh: (walks forward) if we keep the arena open, our metel benders will provide the security that the finals need.

Ophelia: (looks at Josh) Don’t forget that you're my bodyguard, Josh.

Josh: That's true. But I think that you would also have the royal fire guard as well.

Ophelia knew that he was right as Lin reassures the council that she'll take full responsibility if she'll fail. Tarrlok was convinced to change his mind along with the rest of the council as Tenzin was disappointed.

The next chapter: Pro bending finals interrupted