book 2 chapter 3: spirit attack

Continuing from the previous chapter,
With the feast finished, everyone is enjoying the festival as Bolin attempts to make a move on one of Korra's cousins, Eska. During their interaction, Ophelia and Josh looked amused.

Ophelia: what's Bolin doing?

Mako: he's...welll...trying to hook up with Eska....

Josh: he'll need luck.

Mako: we've wished him luck.

The four walked around the festival. Korra tells Mako that Unalaq offered to be her new mentor in regards of getting in touch with the spirits. She asked Mako on what he thinks and found that it sounded good.

Mako: what did Tenzin think?

Korra: (annoyed) he thinks that I'm his kid or his prisoner.

Josh: despite of me asking him to let you do what you feel like?

Korra: That's one way of seeing it.

Ophelia: if you ask me, I'd take Unalaq's offer about connecting with the spirits. Being cooped up on air temple Island won't make you a fully fledged avatar.

Korra: I know, right? He thinks that going around the air temples would help me connect with the spirits.

Josh: (deadpan) That won't work.

After having fun at the festival
Everyone is asleep in the cabins near the festival grounds when Naga started to howl.

Korra: (sleepy) Naga. What are you doing? You're going to wake everyone up.

After settling down her polar bear-dog, Korra was joined by her friends as they were already woken up.

Bolin: what's going on?

Everyone notices a dark entity as Josh went into a defensive stance in attempt to protect the fire princess. Maurice does the same thing to protect Jinora. Both Josh and Maurice stroke first with a combination of fire and metal but they missed when the spirit attacked the boys knocking them against the wall near the cabins.

Ophelia/Jinora: (rush over to the boys) Josh/Maurice!

Josh: (holds his head) ok. That didn't work.

Maurice: I'm going to feel that in the morning.

The two girls checked their friends as Korra attempts to attack the spirit but ended up being hurt as well. Tonraq tried to trap the spirit but it broke out of an ice prison when Tenzin arrived.

Tensin: Spirit, please. Why are you angry with us? What did we do to make you upset?

The spirit didn't say anything as it went on its rampage. Korra led it to the festival grounds. She attempts to calm it down by going into the Avatar State but didn't work. Unalaq appeared and started to bend a pair of water streams around the dark spirit until he quelled its rampage.

Unalaq: go in peace.

Korra: (as Tenzin and Tonraq came over) How are you able to control that spirit when no one else could?

Unalaq explains how he's been able to quell the dark spirit. He reaches out to Korra in another attempt to allow him to train her.

Tenzin: Chief Unalaq, clearly you are very knowledgeable, but Korra still has much to learn about airbending. And I hope that going to the air temples will help her connect with the past Avatars.

After hearing that, Korra became more and more annoyed as Unalaq tells Tenzin that his plans won't work as Josh and Ophelia walked over while Ophelia helps him.

Unalaq: Only I can give her the training she needs to be a complete Avatar.

Tonraq: (aggressive) I told you that it won't happen!

Josh: (clearly annoyed, walked over towards the water chiefs) has Korra even has a say in the matter of who will be her teacher? Clearly both you and Tenzin are holding her back from becoming a true Avatar! Isn't the avatar's job of being the bridge between the spirits and the mortal realms?

Tonraq: she doesn't need to make a choice.

Korra: Hey! I'm right here! Josh has a point about being the bridge between spirits and mortals.

Tenzin: Korra, please.

Korra: I'm tired of listening to you. (Points to both Tenzin and Tonraq) Both of you. You keep me locked up, telling me you know what's best. But both of you were powerless against the spirit attack.

Tonraq attempts to reason with Korra but she clearly made her decision. Tenzin accepted her decision.

Josh: I hope that it won't impact on travelling with Tenzin.

Ophelia: you did what you had to.

The pair followed Tenzin as Josh apologies for causing the rift. Tenzin knew that he was trying to be the voice of reason.

Tenzin: you did well.

Josh: but I didn't mean to have Korra chose someone else.

Tenzin: you managed to convince me about letting Korra join the fire ferrets in the past. Convincing Tonraq took an incredible amount of courage.

Josh: So, myself and Ophelia are still welcome to join you on your trip?

Tenzin: of course.

The next morning, Josh, Ophelia, Tenzin's family are on top of Oogi, Tenzin's sky bison while Maurice is waiting patiently on a saddle on his tyrant red dragon.

Katara: I think you forgot a couple of things.

Tenzin sees his brother and sister behind Katar. She convinced him to take them as Josh helped Bumi into the sky bison's saddle. Ophelia sits next to Josh as Tenzin took the reigns.

Tenzin: Oogi, yip-yip.

Waving goodbye to Tenzin, his family, Josh and the fire siblings. Maurice flies alongside the sky bison.

The next chapter: southern air temple