Chapter 18 ~i cant do it~

Mariah's Pov
August, 2000

I stepped off the elevator smelling more piss and weed, i didn't miss that smell whatsoever. But, I did miss the feeling of being home.

I got my key out and unlocked the door to smell nothing but food.

That Welcome home food always hit.

"ma i'm here" i said closing the door and putting my bags down.

"ahhh my baby's here, i'll call you later" she said hanging up the phone and running out of the kitchen to give me a hug.

Our relationship had got better, ofc she was a little upset over the fact that I chose to go to school but she couldn't be mad forever.

After I chose Stonybrook we started talking more, it felt good, comfortable and peaceful.

"hi my beautiful girl, oh my gosh i've missed you so much" she said as she hugged me.

"hi ma, i've missed you more" i said laughing.

"i made some Mac and cheese with chicken and yellow rice. ur dads here too go say hi" she said and I nodded my head.

My mother was black and dominican while my dad was black and puerto rican, it was a fun little mix you know.

"pa i'm here!" i said walking into their room to see him ironing his shirt.

"my babygirl is back yess" he said smiling and gave me a hug.

"how you been pa?" i asked him and he nodded his head.

"good, you know same shit different day" he said and i laughed nodding my head.

"nah but imma go eat, im hungry" i said making both of us laugh.

"u always hungry"

"aye aye not to much" i said leaving the room laughing.

I walked to the kitchen and served myself.

As I ate me and my mom just talked and talked. It felt so comforting.

I finished my plate and went to go take a shower, it was necessary to get that travel smell off of you.

I put on a white shirt with a blue pair of shorts and a pair of my white and blue air forces. My hair was in a slick back, just right for this hot ass weather.

"aii ma, imma see u later i love you" i said and she nodded her head because she was on the phone.

My pops had left already to run a few arrands for her.

I cut through the park to get to Johnathan's house quicker and saw everybody I used to hang out with when I was younger. The Nostalgia hit me like a bitch, I miss being a kid with no worries. With no struggles, i miss feeling actually free.

I walked into his building and saw his door making me smile immediately.

"who?" i heard his brother ask after i knocked on the door.