CHAPTER 12

A horrid scream left her mouth. Something that would only belong to someone that was being tortured to death. Marietta didn't know her voice could go so high pitched. It made the birds fly away.

Coriolanus heard it and ran out the water.

(C): Marietta! Marietta where are you!

He ran and looked behind trees but he couldn't find her.

She ran north a little. A mile away from the cabin. It was silent until she screamed again. Coriolanus heard it and ran towards her.

(C): Marietta!

Coriolanus found her. She was sobbing on her knees in front of a dead man. Blood was on her arms and forehead. Coryo came running to her.

(C): What happened?! Are you alright?!
(M): I- He didn't- I had to-
(C): Calm down. Take a deep breath and calm down. Now tell me what happened.

Marietta took deep breaths. Her voice was still wobbly but she tried to speak the clearest way she could.

(M): He attacked me. Said he didn't like me because he didn't like you or something like that.
(C): He killed you because of me?
(M): I don't know! But he lunged at me. He was carrying this knife with him. I had to kill him. I killed him.

Coriolanus pulled her into a tight hug. He didn't care that blood was on him now. She held him tight and sobbed. He was shocked himself.

She was attacked because their hatred for me.

Marietta cryed harder. She regained her strength then spoke again.

(M): I'm sorry. And at one point I really did love you. But I have to do this.
(C): What are you talking about?

And at that point Marietta drove the knife into Coriolanus's abdomen. She sunk it in deep and twisted it. He fell back onto a tree, holding the knife handle. Marietta smiled as he layed there wide eyed.

(M): This is what you get. This is for Sejanus.

Then the mockingjays sung.

This is for Sejanus.

There were dozens of them repeating the same thing. That was the last thing he heard.

She looked at herself. Blood covered her hands. She ran towards the Hob. A peacekeeper was there.

(M): Help! You have to help him! He's hurt! Please help!
(T): Woah there. What happened to you?
(M): I'll explain on the way but you need to follow me!

***

Marietta cleaned up at her house. The university were to have Coriolanus's funeral later that evening. She washed twice. Once all the blood was off of her, she changed into comfortable clothes. Her father was away again and her mother was wrapped into her blanket sipping tea in the living room. She sat next to her on the couch.

(M): Hey Ma.
(M): Hi dear. I'm so sorry for what happened to Coriolanus. First Sejanus then him.
(M): We actually have to talk. I know it's going to be a lot to bear but I can't keep this from you. You deserve to know.

Then Marietta told her. About how Coriolanus had to do with Sejanus's death. Ma wailed out a cry. She buried her head in her hands.

(M): How long have you known?
(M): Just today. A boy told me in 12. After Coriolanus died.

Marietta cried. And this time it was real. She didn't let herself cry much at her brothers funeral. She felt empty then and only few tears came out. But she wasn't holding anything back anymore. She cried with her mother until the funeral.