CHAPTER 9

The couple arrived at 12 the following day. Coriolanus gently shook Marietta awake. He only got an hour of so of sleep. He was reminding himself how horrible of a choice he made to allow her to convince him to come here. He hated it here. He hated the memories even when he was happy. He was only happy because of Lucy Gray. And he hated her too. But then he remembered that the Covey no longer played music here. The new head peacekeeper made sure of that. Which made Coryo feel slightly better.

They gotten off the train.

(M): Do you plan to head to the lake first?
(C): Well we should find some place to settle in.

They had stumbled across this motel and checked in. They had gotten changed and into their swimsuits and put clothes to cover them. They started walking.

(C): It's kind of a long walk from here. But it's worth it.
(M): I bet it is. I'm sorry for dragging you here. I feel like you're uncomfortable.

Which was true. Coriolanus was tense ever since he set foot off the train.

(C): No it's alright. We're here to have fun. But yes this does bring back unsettling memories. We could have gone to 4. They have a nice ocean.
(M): That doesn't bring good memories either. My dad, when he liked me, used to bring me and Sejanus on trips with him whenever he had meetings. I was maybe about 6 and Sejanus 5.  I saw someone get killed there. An old man starting an altercation with a peacekeeper. Had nightmares for months after.

Coriolanus nodded. They both had seen traumatic events. Then he saw it. The tree. The tree he was trying to avoid. The tree Sejanus had gotten killed at. The tree he heard the mockingjays sing. The tree he dreaded. And not only him, but Marietta saw it too. In history, they learned that's where 12 has there executions.  She stopped in her tracks.

Thats where Sejanus must have died at.

She thought.

My brother died there. He died while everyone watched. Coriolanus watched my brother die. Knowing it was because of him. Was he happy to hear him scream? I was his last words. He screamed for me to help him when he was about to die. My baby brother.

She clenches her fist. Tears start to form in her eyes. She wants them to stop but they keep going. Coriolanus thought about comforting her but has no idea how. He's the reason she is feeling this way. Comforting her is cruel. But he walks up to her anyway. Right before he can reach her she starts walking.

(M): Let's keep going.

Coriolanus says nothing but follows her. Then she stops again.

(M): You have to go in front of me. I have no idea where I'm going.

He walks besides her and they continued walking again. They didn't say a word to each other. One because they didn't know what to say. Coriolanus felt like anything that could come out of his mouth would be wrong. Changing the subject would seem like he was ignoring her grieving. Comforting her would be cruel because he was the reason her brother was dead and he didn't feel like apologizing. They were here for fun. But even Marietta was thinking it was bad to come here. But only a little bit. Thankfully, Marietta was the one to change the subject. Telling Coriolanus it was okay to talk now.

(M): The flowers are beautiful here.

She touched the flowers in bushes while she walked. Coriolanus smiled then quickly adjusted himself. He was doing exactly what he wanted not to; getting too attached.

Kill her.

He thought. But then he also thought that was crazy.

You did it before with Lucy Gray. She knew too much. She could've used it against you. Marietta knows the exact same thing. Who knows if she could use it against you too? She could over power you. And you wouldn't be president of Panem. You need to kill her.