CHAPTER 6

Coriolanus woke up a little earlier than everyone else. His plan was to wake up earlier and leave so her mother wouldn't catch him here. He got dressed and got his bag ready. Before he left he looked at Marietta. She was snoring a little which made him chuckle. He grabbed his bag to leave and left out the door.

Marietta woke up and realized all Coriolanus's stuff was gone. She just thought he had left early in the morning like he had. She got herself up for school and left the house. She saw him in the building and smiled. He did the same and they locked arms as they walked throughout the halls.

(M): I saw you packed your stuff this morning.
(C): I didn't want your mother to be suspicious on why a boy that is supposed to be like your "brother" is laying with you in your bed.
(M): She would probably tell father. Or maybe not.

They stopped at her homeroom.

(M): I'll see you later.
(C): Alright.

They kissed and parted. Marietta smiled after. She was happy. It wasn't just a "for the public" kiss it was a "for us" kiss. Not one that they have to stage and that made her glad. It did the same with Coriolanus. He liked her kisses. He liked the way he felt after them. Reminding him of how he craved for Lucy Gray's after their lips parted. But it also troubled him.

Coriolanus had gotten to class and started to think about Marietta. He hated this. Falling in love with someone. He hates the way they make him feel so defeated and weak. How he'll do anything to protect the girl he loves. And he was sadly In love with her. He didn't want this. He thought loving people again would just put a blocking stone in front of what he wants. What if there was something Marietta didn't agree with when he told her he applied to be head gamemaker? What if she didn't like the Hunger Games that he was to continue once future president of Panem? What if because of his feelings for her, his heart would betray him and go along with whatever Marietta said? And ditch all of his goals? Coriolanus hated love. But also loved it. He loved the feeling of loving someone. He loved how he feels whenever around her. He loves how he feels after they part from kissing. He loves seeing her smile. But it's the things we love most that destroy us.

***

Marietta walked along the halls to see people whispering and staring at her. She saw Valorie ready to approach her. She smiled.

(M): Hey.
(V): Can we talk?

Marietta nodded and they escaped to a corner in an empty hall.

(V): Sorry to break it to you like this, but Coryo betrayed your brother. That's the reason he's dead. Coryo is the reason your brother is dead Marietta.
(M): And so I've heard.
(V): And so I've heard? That's it? You're not gonna break up with him?
(M): No.
(V): Are you kidding me right now? So your okay with dating your brothers killer?
(M): He didn't kill Sejanus.
(V): If it wasn't for Coriolanus Sejanus would be alive!

Her voice echoed throughout the halls.

(M): Calm yourself.
(V): I don't know how you are calm! Have you even talked to him about it?
(M): Yes. He lied about it first. He knows I know.
(V): So you're seriously just going to keep dating him? You're as cruel as him.

Valorie scoffs and storms off. That was the last time she talked to her. Marietta thought about it. Dating your brothers killer? It does sound cruel. What would Sejanus say? If he could come as a ghost and have a conversation with her? That your a betrayer. A backstabber. Marietta knew. But she was too deep in to cut it all off now. She'd just gotten noticed! Just gotten friends! All because of her brothers killer. All because of the snake.