CHAPTER 8

Marietta screamed as she woke up. She had another bad dream about her dead brother. That was the 20th time these past few weeks.

He's dead.

She tried to tell and convince herself.

Get over it.

But that only continued to make the dreams worse. And Coriolanus was the one killing Sejanus in every single one of them. It made her hate him, on account of her trying her hardest to love him. It only made her want to follow out with her plan even more. She only had a thought, but was going to keep calling it her plan. She just had to complete step one. Get him to agree.

She fought herself to force a believable smile as she met him in the halls. She placed a soft and quick kiss on his lips.

(M): How are you today?
(C): I'm doing quite well how about you?
(M): I'm doing good as well.

Which was a lie. Marietta was a mess. When her parents were away or when her father was away, she'd sneak into the cabinet and steal her father's wine bottle and drink herself to sleep. It helped her become numb but nothing could stop the nightmares.

(M): Did you ever try to see if we could go to 12? To that lake you were talking about?
(C): I don't really know.

Coriolanus didn't want to go. He wanted to forget everything about Lucy Gray and the Covey and 12 as a whole. His love for Marietta was unwillingly only getting stronger so it was beginning to get harder to say no. Especially because she asked all the time. In between her questioning she would do whatever he wanted and please him to make it harder for him not to comply.

                              ***

Finally one day, he agreed. They were having a picnic ontop of Coriolanus's roof watching the sun go down.

(M): Really Coryo? You'll go?
(C): Yes. But only for the weekend. I have work to do.
(M): I know being head Gamemaker you have lots of responsibilities, but everyone needs a break. Including you.
(C): I guess you're right.
(M): You know I'm right.

He chuckled and smiled at her. Marietta told her parents where they were headed for the weekend. Strabo left mid conversation. He still didn't like the fact that his daughter was dating Coryo, but Marietta didn't care. Her mother on the other hand, was just happy that she was happy. Marietta went to her room after Coryo left to pack his bag. Marietta did the same.

They would be leaving the next morning. Saturday was Coriolanus's less busy day. Yes he still had work to do but work he could finish on when he had gotten back.

Marietta packed a swimsuit, walking clothes, and an extra pair of clothes just incase of anything. She packed two scrunchies and pajamas.

Marietta helped her mother with dinner, she ate in her room. After, she told her mother to take care of her butterfly and to not let it die this time. Marietta went livid the last time her mother was the cause of her cat, Ricki's death. Marietta had gone for summer camp in District 7. She came home to her mother baking her her favorite sweets and her favorite dinner. Half of her mother's clothes were torn apart and Marietta's room trashed. Her mother swore to never let another animal die because of her again.

***

Marietta waited for Coriolanus at the train station. She was sitting on a bench in a red top, black leggings and her favorite plain boots. He arrived not long after she had gotten there. He took her hand as they got into the train.

(C): It's going to take about a day to get there.
(M): I know. I packed snacks and drinks in my cooler bag if you want any.
(C): Maybe later.

They talked most of the train ride until Marietta fell asleep. She layed on Coriolanus's shoulder. He watched her fall asleep and chuckled at her snoring. It wasn't loud but it wasn't quiet either. He saw as her wavy hair fell over her face as she moved around. He brushed the hair to the side of her face and tucked it behind her ear. He was happy he left. Maybe happy he was in love again. But he still worried about what his love for her would do to him. He needed to isolate himself some. He couldn't get too wrapped up. Not again.